Youve got to be kidding me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zwhaler, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I spent hours working on a presentation in NeoOffice which I sent to my teacher via email. He sends me an email back today saying that the presentation is "empty" and that it has titles but nothing written in the slides. This must be some sort of mistake, I thought. After finishing my project, I saved it to TWO locations, and re-saved it to make sure it would stay the same. Sure enough, I open up the presentation and the entire thing is "empty" as described. What could have went wrong? I know that I didn't delete everything and save over it, because some slides at the end are there, but weren't there until I saved the doc the last time. I swear, OSX is out to get me.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, free non-commercial software that isn't optimized for Mac OS X is out to get you. You should try Keynote or PowerPoint instead.

Are you saying you have completely lost the presentation now?

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yep, it's all gone. I am starting over again right now...
    I'd buy PowerPoint... but Microsoft is taking so damn long to come out with the new one. What I can't understand is how the contents of my presentation dissappear completely...

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

maaaaaybe you forgot to do it and thought you did! haha jk or am i????:)

5. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I know that sometimes powerpoint made on a mac don't work on a PC because of something to do with quicktime pictures

Everywhere there is a picture it says it cannot display

This can probably be fixed if the PC had the latest quicktime but you know school computers.

6. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

I am not familiar with Neooffice so this a stab in the dark,but maybe its a problem with your preferences or exporting prefs.Maybe you could even try save as command to a different format as well as your current one this time - to be on the safe side.

7. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think I figured out what I did wrong. When I was done with my presentation, I saved it as a Powerpoint 2007 file (because my teacher uses PP 2007 and I wanted the file to work on his computer). But when I did that, it took the entire presentation and erased everything except the titles. Don't ask me why, but that's what happened.

So, if any of you out there use NeoOffice, save your presentation as an .odp file, NOT a powerpoint 2007 file. I finished the project again last night, and saved a copy to my ext HD. No worries... but gosh was that annoying.

8. hessdesigns macrumors member

I've been really enjoying Keynote - as with most Apple software, easy to use, nice transitions, great graphics. And while you may lose some of the more complicated transitions if you export to Powerpoint, it still works. There's also an option for exporting to "Interactive Quicktime" which I found very useful presenting on a different computer since Quicktime is free and Keynote is not. And, iWork is definitely a lot cheaper than MS Office, especially seeing as how you're a student!

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Keynote can do such awesome stuff so long as you give the presentation on a Mac. Take this presentation I'm working on for example. I set the background to be a nice animated Quartz background that continuously plays, based on the background of the "RSS Visualizer" screen saver. It looks really great and adds only 48kb to the file size.

I heart Keynote.

10. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Wooah 48kb that is impressive.

Glad you you got it sorted it out Zwhaler.

11. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You do know that as of a week or two ago, if you purchase Office 2004, you'll get a free upgrade to Office 2008 when it's released. Office 2004 kind of sucks in Rosetta, but it's not unusable, and you're not losing any money at this point assuming you really are planning on buying '08 when it comes out. Just a thought. If you don't need PowerPoint specifically, get Keynote. It's not only by far the best presentation app available, it's one of the best apps of any kind out there, and a prime example of Apple's skill and attention to detail in creating beautiful, intuitive, user-friendly software. The presentations you make with it will look great too.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Check out this one slide Keynote with a Quartz Composer element (exported to QuickTime):

http://www.danpalka.net/sample.mov

Also notice the "Instant Alpha" transparency on the Quartz logo.

13. polycat33 macrumors 6502

You can also probably get a deal on Office through your school. I got mine for $80, a student license, it was JUST a disk, no manuals and they said no phone support, but who needs all that anyway? I never used phone support or user manuals when I had a full copy of it.

14. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Great story...sure beats the "dog ate my homework" one.:)
    Make sure your teacher reads the whole thread.:)

Sorry couldn't resist.:cool:

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

How do you do that?