You've probably seen this before...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'maPC, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I'maPC macrumors newbie

Okay, so I've been thinking about purchasing a mac for a long time though, unfortunately I find myself always waiting for the next update. So here I am to let you do my deciding for me....

What I want from my machine:

I want it to be able to game. Easily.
    I want it to have a lot of storage space.
    I want it to be fast & dependable
    I want a nice display.

So, my quarrel is:

Do I wait until the new update?

The issue in my head is (from what I've heard about the new update [knowing that everything is just rumored]) it is sacrificing a lot to be smaller & more convenient at the price of being the powerhouse it is now.

Though it would be in my best interest to buy a laptop right now, I could probably wait a couple months. (maybe) does it make sense to wait right now for the new model? What would you guys do in this position? Keep in mind the emotional devastation I'll have if the new model is the coolest thing ever & I'm left in the dust with an new old version...

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You listed gaming first, so I'm going to assume thats your priority. In this case, you'd be better off with a Windows machine. Mac's do not cater too well to the gaming crowd.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Depends. Just about all mainstream games play well on Macs, and Blizzard supports Macs as well.

It just depends on what type of games you want to play really. And of course you can always install Windows.

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

5. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Well if the OP wants to play games at native resolution with all eye-candy, Windows PC is far a better choice for gaming.

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

Sure, it's a better choice for gaming. But what I'm saying is that he will be able to play most games, and depending on the specs of his new computer will be able to play them well.

-edit-

I thought he was buying an iMac.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I don't see the point of spending $2000 (iMac) and still not being able to play games at high graphics. For the same price, a high-end Windows PC can be got which will handle any game at highest settings.

8. I'maPC thread starter macrumors newbie

Gaming was the first thing I listed, but I didnt list things in the order of importance. It all comes down to me being a snobby, over-priveleged elitist. I want a mac because not only are they eyecandy, have a great battery life (which is a huge problem with my current PC) and are super fast, but also they just always seem to outspec my computers. I'm sure if my integrated graphics PC from '07 can handle my gaming habits with near highest graphic settings, a 2011 MBP will do the job just fine. The question wasnt whether or not to buy a mac or a pc

9. Cougarcat, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

Cougarcat macrumors 604

Intel's new chipset, Ivy Bridge, isn't coming until April at the earliest, but probably May. Can you wait that long? If not, buy now. The 15" MBP can handle all games out now and coming in the near-future just fine. Just be sure you get the version with 1 GB VRAM.

I wouldn't worry about this. There were rumors of a 15" air, but I think it would come as an additional model, not as a replacement for the 15" MBP. We're probably a few years away from an all-Air lineup--SSD prices need to come down first, and integrated graphics need to get a lot better.

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

True/+1, but the OP would be better off spending $2,000 on an iMac more so than $2,000+ on a 15" MBP if they absolutely "had" to have an Apple machine.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

Perhaps the thread starter doesn't want to build a computer? Maybe they hate Windows? I don't know. I'm only responding to the original post, which was desiring a mac, and frankly the iMac will be able to reasonably handle pretty much whatever you're going to throw at it. I would never buy an Apple desktop unless I had an outrageous amount of money to spend, in that case I would just get a Mac Pro. But that's just me.