You've probably seen this before...

I'maPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
Okay, so I've been thinking about purchasing a mac for a long time though, unfortunately I find myself always waiting for the next update. So here I am to let you do my deciding for me....

What I want from my machine:

I want it to be able to game. Easily.
I want it to have a lot of storage space.
I want it to be fast & dependable
I want a nice display.

So, my quarrel is:

Do I wait until the new update?

The issue in my head is (from what I've heard about the new update [knowing that everything is just rumored]) it is sacrificing a lot to be smaller & more convenient at the price of being the powerhouse it is now.

Though it would be in my best interest to buy a laptop right now, I could probably wait a couple months. (maybe) does it make sense to wait right now for the new model? What would you guys do in this position? Keep in mind the emotional devastation I'll have if the new model is the coolest thing ever & I'm left in the dust with an new old version...

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
You listed gaming first, so I'm going to assume thats your priority. In this case, you'd be better off with a Windows machine. Mac's do not cater too well to the gaming crowd.

Comment

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
You listed gaming first, so I'm going to assume thats your priority. In this case, you'd be better off with a Windows machine. Mac's do not cater too well to the gaming crowd.
Depends. Just about all mainstream games play well on Macs, and Blizzard supports Macs as well.

It just depends on what type of games you want to play really. And of course you can always install Windows.

Comment

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Depends. Just about all mainstream games play well on Macs, and Blizzard supports Macs as well.

It just depends on what type of games you want to play really. And of course you can always install Windows.
Well if the OP wants to play games at native resolution with all eye-candy, Windows PC is far a better choice for gaming.

Comment

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Well if the OP wants to play games at native resolution with all eye-candy, Windows PC is far a better choice for gaming.

Sure, it's a better choice for gaming. But what I'm saying is that he will be able to play most games, and depending on the specs of his new computer will be able to play them well.

-edit-

I thought he was buying an iMac.

Comment

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Sure, it's a better choice for gaming. But what I'm saying is that he will be able to play most games, and depending on the specs of his new computer will be able to play them well.

-edit-

I thought he was buying an iMac.
I don't see the point of spending $2000 (iMac) and still not being able to play games at high graphics. For the same price, a high-end Windows PC can be got which will handle any game at highest settings.

Comment

I'maPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
Gaming was the first thing I listed, but I didnt list things in the order of importance. It all comes down to me being a snobby, over-priveleged elitist. I want a mac because not only are they eyecandy, have a great battery life (which is a huge problem with my current PC) and are super fast, but also they just always seem to outspec my computers. I'm sure if my integrated graphics PC from '07 can handle my gaming habits with near highest graphic settings, a 2011 MBP will do the job just fine. The question wasnt whether or not to buy a mac or a pc

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Intel's new chipset, Ivy Bridge, isn't coming until April at the earliest, but probably May. Can you wait that long? If not, buy now. The 15" MBP can handle all games out now and coming in the near-future just fine. Just be sure you get the version with 1 GB VRAM.

The issue in my head is (from what I've heard about the new update [knowing that everything is just rumored]) it is sacrificing a lot to be smaller & more convenient at the price of being the powerhouse it is now.
I wouldn't worry about this. There were rumors of a 15" air, but I think it would come as an additional model, not as a replacement for the 15" MBP. We're probably a few years away from an all-Air lineup--SSD prices need to come down first, and integrated graphics need to get a lot better.

Last edited:
Comment

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I don't see the point of spending $2000 (iMac) and still not being able to play games at high graphics. For the same price, a high-end Windows PC can be got which will handle any game at highest settings.
True/+1, but the OP would be better off spending $2,000 on an iMac more so than $2,000+ on a 15" MBP if they absolutely "had" to have an Apple machine.

Comment

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Perhaps the thread starter doesn't want to build a computer? Maybe they hate Windows? I don't know. I'm only responding to the original post, which was desiring a mac, and frankly the iMac will be able to reasonably handle pretty much whatever you're going to throw at it. I would never buy an Apple desktop unless I had an outrageous amount of money to spend, in that case I would just get a Mac Pro. But that's just me.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.