Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
I have an iPad Pro 11 (2020) and have just bought two Yubikey 5c NFC. My main use for them will initially be gmail but also other things like macOS, once I work out how to use them! A couple of questions.
From what I can see a good way to use them as a two factor authentication is to simply add them as two keys (which I have done), one primary, one backup. I also use the google authentication app but want to move away from this. I have now added the yubikey authentication to one email address and one key but I can only do one as there is no option for the backup.

However for the iPad it appears that I cannot use either nfc or usb c. So to logon I could in theory use the authentication app on my iPhone and do it that way. But what would happen if I lost the first key and had to use the backup as I can’t add the authentication to that as well and the iPad doesn’t take the actual key.

Yes In theory I could go onto my Mac or iPhone and delete the old key and add the backup but that is a pretty poor way to deal with the iPad. Anyone have any suggestions? Or does the iPad just not work with the yubikey?

Also for safety is it enough to add the two keys, the yubico authenticator app and print the back up codes. All other emails and phone numbers would be deleted. What do you think?

I am pretty non tech with this stuff and I am really surprised how uneasy they make all this. They could probably sell a load more of it was super easy to set up.

bstegner

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I have a Yubikey 5 NFC and use it with my 12.9 (2020) iPad Pro via a USB to USB C adapter. I mainly use mine with LastPass but have it setup with several other sites/apps also. I didn't quite follow everything you were asking, but you should be able to use your key with the ipad directly as per Yubico's instructions...

But you also want to make sure you don't negate your security by having to many keys. I wouldn't use any authenticator apps/software, just the hardware key ...just like a house key, you don't want a house key on every key chain and a backup in the car and under a rock and at your neighbors house. I only have one key and a printed backup stored in a safe place.

UKmacman123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Thanks for the comments. So in summary it seems like I am doing enough (or maybe too many) back up methods and the 5c nfc does not work with an iPad!

I read the link sent above but can anyone clarify how I get the yubico authenticator on two keys? It says in the guide repeat steps 3-7. Do I just pull out key and insert new one and copy the information again?

UKmacman123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
New update, I am slowly working this all out! In gmail I now have two keys set up (one as a backup) for two factor authentication plus the yubico authenticator app (activated in both keys now) and a print out of back up codes. As someone said above, I think this is enough.

I also note that you could use ‘google prompts’ on another device. This appears to be automatically added. Should I try and delete this or is that not possible? Does this in anyway compromise the benefit of the security key?

Finally in the section ‘ways that we can verify its you’ I have my phone number and another email. Do these compromise the security even though they are not being used for two factor authentication? Should they be removed or just left?

If anyone can help clarify these points that would be great.

webbedstar

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2021
I have a Yubikey 5 NFC and use it with my 12.9 (2020) iPad Pro via a USB to USB C adapter. I mainly use mine with LastPass but have it setup with several other sites/apps also. I didn't quite follow everything you were asking, but you should be able to use your key with the ipad directly as per Yubico's instructions...

But you also want to make sure you don't negate your security by having to many keys. I wouldn't use any authenticator apps/software, just the hardware key ...just like a house key, you don't want a house key on every key chain and a backup in the car and under a rock and at your neighbors house. I only have one key and a printed backup stored in a safe place.
"Yubikey 5 NFC and use it with my 12.9 (2020) iPad Pro via a USB to USB C adapter." the key is a male usb so how come since the iPad pro has a lightning connector?

bstegner

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
"Yubikey 5 NFC and use it with my 12.9 (2020) iPad Pro via a USB to USB C adapter." the key is a male usb so how come since the iPad pro has a lightning connector?
Not exactly sure what you are asking... but my iPad Pro (Newest) has a usb-c port and not a lightning port and since the Yubikey 5 NFC is usb a, I needed an adapter. If you need a lightning port adapter, there are plenty on Amazon that should work (male lightning to female usb OTG adapter)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.