Yum vs MacGourmet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigwig, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bigwig macrumors 6502a

I have Yum 2.7.4. This freeware version of Yum is no longer being supported, so I'm thinking of upgrading to either Yum 3.0 or MacGourmet 1.2. What are the pros and cons of each, and which do you prefer?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have MacGourmet Deluxe (I got it from a MacUpdates bundle last year) and I really like it. I haven't tried, or even heard of Yum, so I can't help you with pros and cons.

I can tell you that MacGourmet Deluxe is really easy to use. There are more advanced options that you can mess around with, but it's easy to just enter basic things.

My wife uses it a lot more than I do. She isn't computer savvy and has an easy time using it.

3. bottledair macrumors newbie

Check out Yummy soup

I have been using yummy soup and it has some very nice features. One of the best is the ability to share the library and sync across multiple machines. Still actively updated

4. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I also received MacGourmet with the MacUpdate/MuPromo bundle last year and really enjoy using it as well. It keeps all of my recipes in a nice interface, makes printing to different sized formats easy, (3x5, 4x6, etc) and makes sharing recipes very easy.

I haven't heard of Yum, although that looks very nice as well.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I use Yum, and I like it. One of the things that I don't like about some other programs is that you can't cut and paste. For instance, I get a recipe e-zine regularly. I want to keep some of the recipes in Yum, and I can easily block the ingredients and paste them into Yum, then block the instructions and paste them in. Other programs I have tried do not support that, and each one would have to be typed in manually. Something to think about!

6. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Have you thought about SousChef?. It tracks your recipes, but also lets you share them with the "SousChef" "cloud", and search them. Also, you can type in all of the ingredients you have in your kitchen, and SousChef will tell you all of the stuff that can be made from those ingredients. It's way more than just a recipe database. (If all you want is a database, why not use something like Bento, that can be configured to store any kind of information?).

7. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

We used Yum for while, but when they decided to start charging it was time to look around and MacGourmet came out the winner by a long shot with ease of use. With "Text Clipping" or "Web Site Import" features to add a recipe there was no typing necessary. Just drag and drop or cut and paste in the directions and ingredients. You can also publish your recipes to your Mobile Me account or to your web site with ease. And now that they have MacGourmet touch, you can sync your iPhone or iPod touch to MacGourmet and keep your shopping list in your pocket. The "Cookbook Builder" is something we haven't used yet, but keep thinking we may want to do for gifts later on.

8. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I have Yummy Soup, Mac Gourmet Deluxe, and Sous Chef. All three are very good, but:

Sous Chef: least features of the three
    Yummy Soup: Very slow development and the developer has credibility issues (changing upgrade price and denying he ever had a different upgrade plan after he deleted the old thread that contained that info).
    Mac Gourmet Deluxe: the least 'pretty' of the three but most functional. Most expensive as well.

9. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I have been using it since MacHeist... it's pretty good... although I do like Yum... to be fair.. it's just time to import the recipes for myself and my parents..

10. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a