Yummy! 128G Samsung 830 SSD Drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mwhities, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I received my two 830s last night and I added one into my mid 2010 Macbook (sig). Install went without a hitch and the drive made this MB scream. Fresh and clean install (no apps/etc added), it booted up to login right at 19 seconds.

I then installed Office 2011 for Mac and what used to take 10+ seconds to load now takes 3 seconds. (I work at a datacenter and using Exchange, I get 10K+ emails a day. No, I don't read them all, just stating the amount I receive for comparison.) It's crazy fast.

Fast forward to today. (20 minutes ago) I was reading through posts about other 830s and someone mentioned enabling TRIM. So I downloaded the app and enabled it. Stated I needed to reboot. So I did. HOLY HELL. Was that faster than before? (This morning I showed a fellow employee and it booted up in about 19 seconds.)

I shutdown the system (fast as hell) and hit the power button then my timer on my iPhone. 16 second to the login screen. Really? Enabling TRIM shaved off 3 full seconds (roughly?). DAMN, I love this.

Anyways, for anyone that has a Macbook like mine and you are on the fence about getting a SSD drive, I HIGHLY recommend the Samsung 830.

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Those samsung drives are really good. I currently Have 2x 120GB patriot pyro SE drives in my PC - I need more space, so I've been looking to get 2x 256GB samsung 830 drives.