Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Anyone used both? How do they compare? I have heard the newer one is worse...

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
the old one is not really "better", in fact its actually more complicated to use and less compatible since, to my knowledge, it only accepts a YUV signal.

We're about to set up a z24x here and have it run via ultra studio mini-monitor, I have seen mostly good reviews from it the only "problem" is the uneven backlight bleeding but it seems to actually be the coatings on the panel reflecting on each other. Either way, for a 500 dollar color grading screen you really can't go wrong

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
the old one is not really "better", in fact its actually more complicated to use and less compatible since, to my knowledge, it only accepts a YUV signal.

We're about to set up a z24x here and have it run via ultra studio mini-monitor, I have seen mostly good reviews from it the only "problem" is the uneven backlight bleeding but it seems to actually be the coatings on the panel reflecting on each other. Either way, for a 500 dollar color grading screen you really can't go wrong

I bought one and I have found the coating issue to be really bad. Where did you read about this?

It's much better when displaying bright footage, however.

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think the z24x is meant to be a direct replacement for the 2480zx. HP have had a rethink of their price points, and given the pricing and specs, I think they're expecting those who would've bought the 2480zx to go for the z27x.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I bought one and I have found the coating issue to be really bad. Where did you read about this?

It's much better when displaying bright footage, however.

Over on LGG and also on reduser.

I'm not too put off by it..I've been wanting a good, affordable monitor for playback in fcp x and lightweight color grading in resolve and redcine for a while but never could spend 2-3k on one because I'm not a post house. So this unit really fits the bill for me regarding budget and usage patterns

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
I don't think the z24x is meant to be a direct replacement for the 2480zx. HP have had a rethink of their price points, and given the pricing and specs, I think they're expecting those who would've bought the 2480zx to go for the z27x.

Based on what I've seen, I agree.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
It's still outdated relative to the z24x because of its last-gen HDMI and Displayports (1.3 and 1.1, respectively)

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
It's still outdated relative to the z24x because of its last-gen HDMI and Displayports (1.3 and 1.1, respectively)

That's true. But the panel is nicer in the original from what I have seen. Never put them side-by-side, admittedly, but the original has a nicer image and doesn't have the uniformity issue.

If it weren't for the black uniformity issue, I would be a big fan of the z24x. And it's not a problem when the brightness is boosted in a dimly lit room. In a pitch black room it is bad when viewing dim images.

I plan to keep mine, use it on set as well as for color grading and photos. But if you don't need the newer specs (YUV HDMI in as you mention) I would recommend the older one I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.