Zack & Wiki, anyone try it yet?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by atszyman, Oct 24, 2007.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

So Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Review got released yesterday in the US to some fairly good reviews.

IGN's 9.0

Gamespot 8.5

Gametrailers 8.7

1up 9.0

Anyone out there pick it up, or even heard of this one yet? Reviews all seem to love the control scheme and at $40 it seems like it has a chance even given the bad title and "kiddie" look that it has. I'd probably be all over it if I could only find some time to actually play any games.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lame name, lame character design but the premise sounds really good and I love the cell-shaded kinda look (wind waker <3) And I think it's a $40 title as well so another bonus.

Sadly... it's gonna get trampled in the flood of games about to be unleashed.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

yup, 16 great games next month , and I'm already behind with orange box and star wars battlefront....

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm getting this. One of the few Wii games i've truly been looking forward too.

Now if only I can finish all these bloody games I have lately :rolleyes:

I've barely touched a lot of my brand new games like Eternal Sonata, PGR4 or OrangeBox yet. Great games - no time :(

MySims (Wii), BlueDragon (360) Folklore (PS3) and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) are all keeping me busy at the moment.

And what with Ratchet, Unchartered, Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect & others all coming in the next month or so.... aghhhhh!!!!!

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I was interested in the game until I heard "point & click"....I'm not into that but the game does look good. I'm going to have to pass.

Too many games.....head is about to explode!

Bless

6. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

It's slowly climbing up the Amazon Wii sales ranks (#3 as of this writing - could've sworn it was at #7 earlier today).

I can't decide if I should get it: I've replayed some old adventure game classics and found my brain to be way too inflexible for them at my advanced age...plus I get really pissed off by puzzles with solutions that are totally non-intuitive (*cough* Zelda:TP *cough*).

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Really? There was only one puzzle in the game that struck me as 'Oh, come on.'

8. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Yeah, I found Zelda:TP to be incredibly painful at times... considering how little people complained about that, I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm just too stupid for these kind of games...

So maybe I should pass on Zack & Wiki? But I have such fond memories of Grim Fandango...

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'll get my copy on Monday. I've been looking forward to this game.

Zelda: PH is the only Zelda to stump me and after someone was so kind as to state what should have been obvious, I was humbled. :eek:

<]=)

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

I'm planning on picking this up for sure. I don't have to play every game now...but will be nice to have. In fact I'm still not through Res4 yet and have never touched my Elebits! My pile of quality games is growing with more play time than I have available...but that's not a bad thing :)

Paul

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Zelda: TP only had one puzzle that actually stumped me...it seemed way too straightforward, I hardly had to think through most of the dungeons. Not because they were blindingly easy, but because I've done it all before in OoT and WW and nothing was particularly difficult to figure out.

I'm interested in Z&W but I'll hold out. Too much to get this holiday season, I'm already forgoeing games I want...(BWii, maybe NiGHTS depending on reviews, maybe GH3 depending on money).
    Heh, I remember that. You're talking about the one with pulling the levers on the Ghost Ship, right?

I know a lot of people that got stuck on the map-pressing one. One guy got so frustrated that he gave up and closed the DS and put it to sleep...and whoops! :D

12. sturigdson macrumors regular

So, back to topic-

nobody's tried this? It's totally going to get lost in the flood.

I purchased last night- going to go home and play. will report back. Looks great, tho.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've bought it and just waiting for it to get here. But yeah it's probably going to be one of those beautiful gem's that gets completely and utterly lost at retail. Much like most decent original IP's. How can it compete with Madden or Fifa? :eek:

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ahh the levers :D. Some people thought it was a glitch. And the map pressing, why would anyone think to close it... that was annoying.

15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

MRU, you sometimes make me very happy that i only have a Wii:p

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

glad I could be of service :p:D

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

This is an incredible game. If you own a Wii, you must buy this! It's both extremely clever and fun.

However, I can't seem to do any of the music stuff (whenever you come across that gramophone guy and you're supposed to ring your bell in tune with the music)....it's like I can't make the controller react in time.

18. pcypert macrumors 6502

Bought it today and have played through the first set of levels. Pretty good game. Long intro sequence and a lot of talking. There's lots of little things that make the game interesting. Lots of little things to discover and aha moments.

The wiimote use is fun at times and intuitive...but at other times is annoying as I couldn't really play lying down which is what I was wanting to do today :) .

A game like this would be really, really cool if you could build your own levels and share them online (I guess this is what LBP will be like)...try and guard your own treasure and get points against people. That would be pretty fun. Don't know how long the game will last but it's enjoyable for now.

Paul

19. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

What's LBP? I can't think of what that would stand for, and found no game that fit it on wiki's list of Wii games, including ones that haven't come out yet.

20. pcypert macrumors 6502

Not a Wii game...Little Big Planet for PS3...I've not followed it much but I've heard you can develop your own levels and stuff.

Paul

21. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Ah, yes :), sorry, my mind was set on Wii games and I didn't even think about acronyms for games on other systems.

22. pcypert macrumors 6502

I agree on the music timing thing...just hit that level...just played till I got it.

There's little stuff that annoys me in the game. The pirate just says shinier than I remember for every piece. There should be story unfolding here. The guy that's supposed to give rumors in the hideout just says stupid stuff you know already...at least I've yet to hear a rumor from him and I've talked to him 10+ times every time I go in just to see.

So for me the deeper I go the more little things they missed out on that could have made this game truly great. I would actually drop it into the 8's at this point...

Paul

23. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I picked it up last night finally and pre-ordered Super Mario Galaxy for the coin. I better get it. :mad: :eek:

I'm nearing completion on Zelda, so will play this game next. :)

<]=)

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I thought I would necro this thread to mention that Zack and Wiki is one of the very best games on the Wii right now.

Get a couple of mates, some drinks, some junk food, and some extra Wiimotes, kick back on the couch, and solve puzzles for a few hours. There's nothing like it.

I love this game, and eagerly hope for a sequel.