Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZAGG today announced two new iPad integrated keyboard cases for Apple's iPad models, including the iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro 11-inch.

zagg-pro-keys-keyboard-e1621420377850.jpg

First up is the Zag Pro Keys, which is compatible with the iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation), the iPad Air 10.9-inch (4th generation), and the iPad 10.2-inch (7th and 8th generation).

The ZAGG Pro Keys features a detachable keyboard with precision, laptop-style keys and an integrated Bluetooth trackpad. It also includes a detachable case, an integrated, adjustable stand, key backlighting, and a holder for Apple Pencil as well as the Zagg Pro Stylus.

A magnetic flap holds the cover closed, while the polycarbonate case is lightweight but has a rigid core, rubberized edges, button covers, and corner bumpers, all of which combine to provide up to 6.6 foot (2 meters) of drop protection.

The Zagg Pro Keys supports multi-device pairing, and trackpad can be independently turned off to save battery when not in use. Meanwhile, the backlit keys come in seven different colors, the on-board battery lasts for three months, and the keyboard is charged via USB-C.

The Pro Keys with Trackpad wireless keyboard and detachable case for the Apple iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation), and the iPad Air 10.9-inch (4th generation) for $149.99. The Pro Keys with Trackpad for the iPad 10.2-inch (7th and 8th generation) will be available on May 25 for $139.99. For comparison, Apple's Magic Keyboard with trackpad costs $299 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and iPad Air, and $349 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

zagg-ruggedbook109.984-e1621420412150.jpg

The second new model, the ZAGG Rugged Book is designed to be tough and versatile, featuring an interlocking key design on the wireless keyboard that locks the keys in place so they don't pop off.

The detachable keyboard includes backlit, laptop-style keys, while the rugged design offers up to 6.6 feet (2m) of drop protection and includes a magnetic hinge for multiple viewing angles. The Rugged Book also supports multi-device pairing.

The Rugged Book wireless keyboard for the iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation) and iPad Air 10.9-inch (4th generation) is available now for $149.99.

ZAGG also offers a Pro Keys wireless keyboard and detachable case for iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, and 5th generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation), for RRP $169.99 and $109.99, respectively.

The above models include a one-year limited lifetime warranty, and are available now or will be available on ZAGG.com, ZAGG Franchise locations, and at Best Buy stores nationwide.

Article Link: ZAGG Announces New Pro Keys Case With TrackPad for 11-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad

Last edited:
Reactions: duanepatrick

Mrjetsondc

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2020
I haven’t used an iPad in years. Are keyboards worth it? I don’t notice many people with keyboards and iPads.

Reactions: tubomac

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Rugget book with trackpad would have been a big winner.

I'll stick with my Magic Keyboard.

tubomac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2013
Japan
I haven’t used an iPad in years. Are keyboards worth it? I don’t notice many people with keyboards and iPads.
Because in the long run, if they have a laptop and they need to be productive, they prefer to write using a serious keyboard. These Bluetooth keyboards sometimes work fairly, sometimes, especially if you have other Bluetooth devices connected, they annoyingly lag, sometimes they need you to reset the connection. I believe the story is different with a keyboard using the smart connector.

Reactions: Mrjetsondc

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Surprisingly I see a lot of collage kids using them, They will use the keyboard to type reports and then use the Apple Pencil to write down notes or draw illustrations.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
It’s hideous. It looks like a child’s tablet.

Ummm, I guess?

1621429263977.png

For any serious typing, I still use the desktop Magic Keyboard with my iPad. It's light and packs easily in a bag. While the latest MBA and MBP say its a Magic Keyboard, I still like the key action of the desktop version over those. I had various version of keyboard cases with my 10.5" and aesthetically they looked nice but functionally they lacked.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Ummm, I guess?

View attachment 1777079

For any serious typing, I still use the desktop Magic Keyboard with my iPad. It's light and packs easily in a bag. While the latest MBA and MBP say its a Magic Keyboard, I still like the key action of the desktop version over those. I had various version of keyboard cases with my 10.5" and aesthetically they looked nice but functionally they lacked.
Ugh I can see the greasy child fingerprints from here....?

I use the desktop keyboard myself as well.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
The obvious answer is, it depends on the intended use.

I can say that I’m happy with the typing experience my logitech keyboard provides. It’s not as good as a laptop keyboard, but it’s far from unpleasant to use.

fishmongerer

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2016
Because in the long run, if they have a laptop and they need to be productive, they prefer to write using a serious keyboard. These Bluetooth keyboards sometimes work fairly, sometimes, especially if you have other Bluetooth devices connected, they annoyingly lag, sometimes they need you to reset the connection. I believe the story is different with a keyboard using the smart connector.
Ironic statement, because to a lot of people, Apple makes the worst keyboards for typing in recent years. The new ones are a little better, but still pretty flat with very little travel (MacBook Air is decent). Even my $200 Chromebook has a far better keyboard than what Apple makes (if you factor in key travel).

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
The ZAGG Pro Keys features a detachable keyboard with precision, laptop-style keys and an integrated Bluetooth trackpad.
This sentence needs editing — the entire keyboard is Bluetooth, not just the trackpad. Personally, I’m willing to spend more for a Smart Connector iPad keyboard/case. But it’s good to have budget choices.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
I am glad to have the Logitech one. It makes typing so much easier instead of having a greasy screen and being able to see the full real estate of it. ;)
Excellent point. It’s not just that’s much more pleasant to write on a proper keyboard, it’s also the amount of screen you’re not loosing.

Reactions: RichardGroves

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
I loved the rugged book for my old Air 2. Will be getting one if it goes on sale. I don’t like these flappy cover cases. The only thing I don’t like about these new ones is having the pencil exposed.

Ankarli

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
Interesting, a school I am associated with is considering going 1:1 with iPads instead of Macbooks due to cost and fragility of the new Airs.

I trialled both the rugged keyboard and pen. The keyboard was acceptable, although no-way was I getting 3months usage from a charge (and that was with the backlight off). The pen was good, certainly better than the Logitech Crayon. But on the negative side, both the pen and keyboard required a USB-A charger (not supplied). The current generation of iPads come with USB-C chargers so a separate charger would need to be supplied as you couldn't guarantee that each family would have a spare USB-A charger at home. Likewise the connection to the Pen is USB-C but the Rugged Keyboard is Micro-USB. So we'd have kids juggling three different charging cable.

If the the cables were USB-C on the charging end, and both USB-C or Lightning on the device connection end, I would have seriously considered these. But as it stands now, its a bit of a deal breaker for my school. A bit of a pity since I would have been in the market for about 180 this year.

Ankarli

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
If you're talking about the Rugged Book, it's IMHO the best children's iPad case. Making the keys not pop off is fixing the only design weakness.
It's quite heavy too. Almost twice the weight of the Logitech equivalent. STM are coming out with a keyboard case which is certified for a 6ft drop plus similar sort of 'not able to be popped off keys". We've been using STM for iPad cases for years and have only had 1 broken screen, and one broken off headphone jack and this is in a 5 to 7 year old user environment.

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
It's quite heavy too. Almost twice the weight of the Logitech equivalent. STM are coming out with a keyboard case which is certified for a 6ft drop plus similar sort of 'not able to be popped off keys". We've been using STM for iPad cases for years and have only had 1 broken screen, and one broken off headphone jack and this is in a 5 to 7 year old user environment.

True about the weight. But I would argue that the magnetically detachable screen and lack of need for a kickstand is what makes this system so good for children. That’s where the weight comes from.

It would be great if Apple put the magnetic connector on the mini. Then the keyboard and iPad could share battery

Ankarli

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
True about the weight. But I would argue that the magnetically detachable screen and lack of need for a kickstand is what makes this system so good for children. That’s where the weight comes from.

It would be great if Apple put the magnetic connector on the mini. Then the keyboard and iPad could share battery
Yes but I could see the keyboard case being 'left at home' or 'lost'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.