Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Purchased this at best buy and I don't like it at all. I've been reading some reviews ans the main complaints are: hard to install, doesn't provide anti-glare protection, reduces the screens sensitivity to touch and reduces the great screen display.

I had them install it at the store, so, the installation was no problem for me. I'm not concerned about the anti-glare protection (I rarely take it outside). I haven't had any problems with the touch screen sensitivity, yet. But my number issue is the way the ipad looks with the Zagg screen cover on it. There are smudges and little lines on the Zagg screen cover that won't go away. It's really annoying. But when you power the iPad on, you can't see any of that. However, when you power the iPad on you can see how terrible the Zagg screen cover makes the screen display. It looks pixilated, blurry, and there's the infamous "rainbow affect" I keep reading about.

I'll be taking it back To best buy tomorrow. Ive read that the "rainbow affect" and the all around decrease of the screen display is caused by the anti-glare screen protection, and that the normal Zagg screen protector doesn't reduce the screen display as much. So I'm thinking I'm just going to get the regular Zagg screen protector put on instead, and get 10 dollars back, or most likely store credit. And if that one doesn't look better, I guess I'll have decide if I want to protect my screen or if I want to see that great retina display in its best form, without the cover.

What do you guys think?

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I use a media devil antiglare on my iPad 2, and I love how it looks. Really helps against glare, and fingerprints/smudges.

Not sure how it looks on the new iPad though.. If you are going to purchase a higher priced screen protector like zagg, look at powersupport. They have the best antiglare for the new iPad from what I have heard.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/ipad-3.html

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I'm not concerned with the anti-glare property. I only bought this one because it's supposed to be fingerprint and smudge resistant.

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I don't know if best buy carries anything else, and since I've already spent my money there I doubt I'll get a cash refund, probably just store credit. I guess my main question is: does the regular Zagg mess up the screen display as much as the anti-glare Zagg? I've heard that it doesn't.

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I've been doing some research and I think I found the solution. I've read good things about the invisible shield hd. Its supposed to have the glass look to it, and be truly invisible. They claim the one I have is invisible but it's far from it. I was told at best buy, if I have any problems with the screen cover I can bring it back and they'll give me a new one. So I think I'm going to take it back and spend 10 more bucks to get the Zagg hd. I don't see why there should be a problem with me doing that. Wish me luck.

Green Apples

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I'm sorry to hear your troubles...
I know EXACTLY how you feel... I tried almost everything out there and wasted a lot of money myself.

I do not like Zagg because of it's orange peel skin and they put "ZAGG" on the screen....... I do not like that.... I just HAD to take it off....

Right now I am using SKINPEA and I can finally say that I love it!
I had it on for awhile now and It's still stuck on all corners and no bubbles as of yet. I have it on both my iPhone and iPad.

Try Skinpea, you won't regret.

I hope i helped!

jasazick

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
I've been doing some research and I think I found the solution. I've read good things about the invisible shield hd. Its supposed to have the glass look to it, and be truly invisible. They claim the one I have is invisible but it's far from it. I was told at best buy, if I have any problems with the screen cover I can bring it back and they'll give me a new one. So I think I'm going to take it back and spend 10 more bucks to get the Zagg hd. I don't see why there should be a problem with me doing that. Wish me luck.

I just put a InvisibleShield HD on my new iPad and it is rather impressive - Retina screen still looks amazing and there is very little "orange peel" feel to like I've had with previous protectors.

It even managed to hide a very small scratch I managed to acquire on my screen. (Which was driving me crazy since I could see it on a white backgroud).

Installation was a little tricky but after watching a few videos I was well prepared for it. It really does need 24 hours to "cure" - it looks pretty good right after install but MUCH better a day later.

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I just put a InvisibleShield HD on my new iPad and it is rather impressive - Retina screen still looks amazing and there is very little "orange peel" feel to like I've had with previous protectors.

It even managed to hide a very small scratch I managed to acquire on my screen. (Which was driving me crazy since I could see it on a white backgroud).

Installation was a little tricky but after watching a few videos I was well prepared for it. It really does need 24 hours to "cure" - it looks pretty good right after install but MUCH better a day later.

I got my zagg hd shield put on yesterday, there were many bubbles under it. I know there are gonna be some and it takes at least a day, like you said, for all the bubbles to go away. Im just thinking the guy at best buy messed up because there were bubbles all over it. After 12 hours it looked better I suppose, when I get Home in a few hours it will be about 24 hours since I got it put on. I guess I'll see how it looks when I get home and if it doesn't look good then I'll be going back to best buy. I've already been up there once to exchange the zagg anti glare for the hd, I really don't wanna have to keep going back.

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Just got home from work, This thing looks a lot better, still some bubbles and imperfections but I'm thinking it needs more time. I'm gonna give it till monday and decide whether or not I want to get another one put on. I would definitely recommend the Zagg HD, it looks great. You can't even tell there's a screen cover on my iPad when it's powered on. My only complaints are the installation difficulties and the fact that you're going to have bubbles for at least a day or two. Don't even waste your time on the other Zagg products, especially the Zagg anti glare, that thing is terrible.

blastingas10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Another thing I will say about the Zagg HD is that it really seems to attract fingerprints and doesn't clean as easy as the iPad glass. But still, it's 1000x better than the Zagg anti glare.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not concerned about the anti-glare protection (I rarely take it outside). I haven't had any problems with the touch screen sensitivity, yet. But my number issue is the way the ipad looks with the Zagg screen cover on it. There are smudges and little lines on the Zagg screen cover that won't go away.
If you don't care abotu glare then don't get an antiglare screen protector. There are plenty of very good crystal screen protectors discussed in the prior screen protector threads that will not affect image quality or the appearance of the iPad in the way that you describe above.

Fingerprints will be an issue with most screen protectors and a lot of matte and AF screen protectors will impact image quality. You need to determine which is the lesser evil for you.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Another thing I will say about the Zagg HD is that it really seems to attract fingerprints and doesn't clean as easy as the iPad glass. But still, it's 1000x better than the Zagg anti glare.

You gotta use a thick cloth not the thin black cloth

TheGoodRunner

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
HD Anti Glare Anti Fingerprint

I tried out bodyguardz HD Anti Glare Anti Fingerprint on my iPhone 4s and honestly its an awesome product, you install it yourself but they have videos to help you do it on their youtube channel. You feel like you're a pro after you watch the videos, it was also pretty cool because it came with two of them, so for the same price as others you can keep your phone fresh for twice as long. Plus it does a great job with the anti fingerprint.. I have really sweaty oily hands and there is nothing more embarrassing than giving my phone for a girl to see or make a call on and she throws out a big EWWW, this protector is a champ, its like my own little lady keeper because the protector hides the smudges hardcore. Check em out for sure they are definitely my favorite screen protector I have ever used. Hope that helped some of yall out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.