zagg fire issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by farkspark, May 26, 2009.

1. farkspark macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Im thinking to buy zagg shields for my future macbook. However a co-worker told me it's known to cause over heating because its so thick, and that ruins the performance of the computer.

fact or fiction?

Thanks

F

2. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

No Problems Here

I've had a Zagg on my Dell Mini 9, and MBP Unibody for two months without issue. I do keep my MPB on a small laptop stand though while at work. However I've also used it in coffee shops without the stand doing photo editing without any issue. Often times with the battery charging (which usually heats up things anyway).

I'd give the Zagg stuff 4 out of 5 stars. No 5 because you really have to get your Zen on to do the install.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never had a problem; of course for my latest computer I removed it because it made my computer feel cheap.

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Fiction. In no way can it increase the chance of a fire as it does not cover up any ports or air vents.

I also haven't had any problems with heat.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Apple decided to do that for me when I sent my uMBP in for service. Argh.
    I'm still "nude" at the moment and haven't really had a desire to call Zagg. You kind of forget how nice the aluminum feels, even though it may get scratched up more.

6. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

False

I have had my UMBP for 7 months with a shield on it the whole time and i have no problems and it protects it from scratches and dirt. Total 4 out of 5. No 5 again because you have to really concentrate to put it on.
    P.S. if you do get one use a blow dryer as you apply it to get it to stick faster. it really helps make the install that much easier.

Good luck

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I checked the Zagg site for pics of a Unibody with the invisible shield on it but could not find any. Would somebody mind posting some. Preferably on a 15" MBP but any Unibody will give me an idea of what it will look like. I especially want to see how it looks after a few months of use.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I know I have some of my old Penryn MBP, I don't know about my uMBP. I'll see if I can find them when I get home later. ;)

9. farkspark thread starter macrumors newbie

10. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Good for you. I've had one on my UMBP for several months and love it. No issues with heating or anything. Mine's getting a bit dingy looking around the edges (probably from rubbing the black sleeve as I slide it in and out every day), but better the Zagg than the MBP.

As everyone else has said, be prepared to spend a great deal of time and effort putting it on. It's a pain in the you-know-what and I hope I never have to do it again. Be very careful about the shield stretching as you peel it off the backing, too.

P.S. -- I ended up taking off the little piece for the trackpad. I felt it made it too tacky.

11. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

I think a few people on here have posted pictures of their UMBP with IS installed. I don't have time right now to look or I'd post the link.

12. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Don't Forget Coupon Codes

Google coupon codes for Zagg. You can save money on your order from them.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Attached Files: