Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falstaffpac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I wanted to share a solution I discovered regarding the Zagg Folio2 keyboard.

First, a quick review for those who may be interested. I've been using the Folio2 for approximately 4 months. The addition of a keyboard to the iPad has made it far more functional for data entry. In fact, the iPad has almost completely replaced my laptop for computing. I use the iPad/Folio2 regularly at work. The case is compact and durable. I find the keyboard itself easy to type on, with good spring on the keys. I've recommended the Folio2 to several people at work.

I've been having a problem over the past 3-4 weeks with the SHIFT keys not functioning (left and right side) yet the CAPS LOCK key functions as it should. I've done some searching on the internet, but no real clear solutions. Another forum suggested it was dust causing the problem. It does seem to be a problem with some users, many getting replacement keyboards under warranty as the solution. I began playing with different key combinations on the iPad and discovered one which solved the SHIFT problem on my keyboard.

If your SHIFT keys stop functioning, the following key combination seems to "reset" the SHIFT function: ALT+SHIFT+S (the 'S' is arbitrary, any alphabet key should work). This appears to type an ASCII symbol but has the effect of restoring SHIFT functionality.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008

First, a quick review for those who may be interested. I've been using the Folio2 for approximately 4 months. The addition of a keyboard to the iPad has made it far more functional for data entry. In fact, the iPad has almost completely replaced my laptop for computing. I use the iPad/Folio2 regularly at work. The case is compact and durable. I find the keyboard itself easy to type on, with good spring on the keys. I've recommended the Folio2 to several people at work.

I've been having a problem over the past 3-4 weeks with the SHIFT keys not functioning (left and right side) yet the CAPS LOCK key functions as it should. I've done some searching on the internet, but no real clear solutions. Another forum suggested it was dust causing the problem. It does seem to be a problem with some users, many getting replacement keyboards under warranty as the solution. I began playing with different key combinations on the iPad and discovered one which solved the SHIFT problem on my keyboard.

If your SHIFT keys stop functioning, the following key combination seems to "reset" the SHIFT function: ALT+SHIFT+S (the 'S' is arbitrary, any alphabet key should work). This appears to type an ASCII symbol but has the effect of restoring SHIFT functionality.

Interesting find, I just received a keyboard case from Brookstone and although I haven't had this problem concidering it's new I will keep a note of this in case I come accross this problem.

Trudijane

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Keyboard is malfunctioning

Hi,
I have my ZAGG about 4 months. 2 months ago, I had to get a replacement ZAGG keyboard because the locking mechanism was not working problem (just a brief history). And it closed fine.

Today, in using my keyboard, suddenly many of the keys on my keyboard does not type the same character when I'm typing, particularly the SHIFT key. That important symbol after my E-mail name before .com is a parenthesis mark! I tested a lot of other keys and get some that work; others that don't. But it's not just the shift key. Some of the lower shifts don't work either. It's impossible to type with so many keys not creating the character that I want.

2 days ago it was working just fine. In the interim, my iPad/ZAGG was in my desk drawer (I'm very careful about protecting it from the elements). Nothing I did could have caused this.

So now I wrote the company again to ask for a replacement! Unless there is some way to reset it or another way to troubleshoot this. problem. I think I'm still under the basic warantee as I've had it less than 6 months.

I really LIKE the keyboard, but 2 defects in 4 months is a little strange. I'd hate to keep on sending it back and asking for a replacement or feel impelled to get a lifetime warantee to do so!

What can I do? Anyfeedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Trudijane

Dennis Stone

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2019

[doublepost=1567382910][/doublepost]I had a problem with several of my letters not working, e.g. t and y. I was able to fix it using the same method you used to fix the shift key, ALT+SHIFT+S. THANKS! BTW, Zagg finally fixed the slimbook problem, hinges breaking all he time. They have a new version out that allows you to separate the keyboard from the iPad. Looks like they eliminated the hinge somehow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.