ZAGG HZO -- no more water damage

lazybee

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
They did a trial with a small number of customers early this year I believe. Read about it on a tech blog a ways back. Hadn't thought about it since. As far as I'm concerned it likely works like many sprays to waterproof shoes/boots. Fills in the gaps with clear silicone or some similar polymer.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
that's pretty intense.. wonder if it leaves a film on your device..?

I also wonder if you have to open your device and spray the inside? interesting..

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
This is zaggs purchase of golden shellback finally seeing the light of day...exciting! http://golden-shellback.com/

There's another company also doing this too, saw it last night but don't remember the name, so hopefully the competition keeps the price reasonable

If I remember correctly, they spray the device in a vacuum, and I THINK it does require them opening up your device. Also, doesn't leave a noticeable coating from what I remember...it's not even sprayed on the outside, as glass and plastic doesn't need to be waterproofed, it just waterproofs the electrical components on the inside

----------

great....but how the hell does this work?!
It's a liquid compound (ironic, I know) that gets sprayed on the elecrical components and shields them from moisture

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
If it is the Golden Shell product, my understanding was that it is not a permanent solution and lasted for a specific time and exposure period as well. If its permeant, then I am interested.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
Whoa, this is intriguing. I don't see it on the Zagg website so I presume it's not released for public... As long as the price isn't extreme and doesn't require taking the device apart, I might be interested. Would also love to read reviews about this.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Whoa, this is intriguing. I don't see it on the Zagg website so I presume it's not released for public... As long as the price isn't extreme and doesn't require taking the device apart, I might be interested. Would also love to read reviews about this.
it must involve taking the device apart surely? i cant see how injecting this (unless they literally cover everything inside?)

oh god i dont even know. This is definitely the future though, i can see this going big as long as it gets the right marketing.

petererr

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Oh cool!
I'm looking forward to swimming with my iPhone again for a while, coz the last one which did so with me died afterwards.

Hope the price isn't extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.