Zagg Invisible Shield - Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by deraj090, Sep 26, 2013.

1. deraj090 macrumors regular

Got conned into buying a Zagg Invisible Shield from Best Buy, given that it was their only screen protection product, and I didn't want to take any risks with my new 5s.

The thing is completely smudged/scratched up after 2 days! I took it out of my (jeans) pocket last night and noticed (on a white background) what appeared to be smudges all over the screen. I tried wiping them off to no avail.

This, combined with the orange-peel effect, made my decision to toss it straight in the garbage that much easier. I can't return it to Best Buy -- know why? Because they screwed up my entire order (iPhone, Case, Screen Guard, Headphones, sim card [don't get me started], and Apple TV) and had to return and re-purchase everything. Doing that flagged me in their "The Retail Equation" system as a delinquent customer, and I'm no longer allowed to make returns for 90 days. NEVER again.

As it is, I'm in the process of trying to exchange the 16GB for a 32GB, and will likely run into a *****-storm with regard to making an exchange.

Has anyone run into this "The Retail Equation" system before?

2. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I've never ran into that before. I have some family members that get carried away, by a bunch of stuff, instant buyers' remorse and return everything.....never happened to them. I also know some clowns who try to return big ticket items, sometimes waaaaaay after the return period ends, and raise hell every time they try, but I see them so often that I'm sure they've never heard of it either.

Also, i have a former best buy employee roommate....He's never encountered it. He thought it was actually a myth!

Maybe you got a bad shield? It's under lifetime warranty, so you could've sent it back to Zagg for a new one. From my roommate's experience installing Zaggs for customers, there's a lot of defective ones.

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I used to live by invisible shields, put them on everything. I even like the texture (which you can avoid by getting the hd versions). But this last round, I can't even clean it without damage. Looks like they changed suppliers or cut corners or something.

I've peeled mine off and am going naked. While the shields have gotten worse, the factory covers appear to have gotten better.

4. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly! Neither had anyone at the store that I spoke with. I actually laughed when I read an article about that, saying that I'd definitely be top of their list, as I admittedly frequently return purchases -- for example, I'll buy 3 or 4 sets of headphones, pick the ones I like the best, and return the others that I don't like. Sorry, Best Buy, but if you're going to have a return policy, you must assume that your customers will use it to their advantage. SO few advantages of shopping in-store -- looks like BB just gave me another to stick to online.

Truth-be-told, I didn't toss it out yet. Good idea-- I guess I'll have to register it first. Will give it a shot. I'm happy with my VZW generic one for the time being, though!

My dad actually asked me this last night. His 5S is getting delivered today. He's gone years with the Galaxy 2,3,4 -- never having an issue with the screen scratching. I finally convinced him to get the 5s... should he be concerned about the screen scratching? I've always used a screen protector, so I don't know anyhting about going bare-bones.

5. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

contact zagg... they have a great guarantee and seem like good peoples...

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

8. CRL125 macrumors newbie

I've used Ghost Armour on all my products and they've worked great. Also comes with a "lifetime" replacement with a $5 installation cost.

9. Quake1028 macrumors member

Quake1028

I had two installed, one on my 5S and one on my wife's 5. Both were perfectly done and look fantastic. HD, case friendly version.

10. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't believe mine is the HD version -- that's probably the first problem (orange-peel). The fact that it smudged and scratched within a few days, though, Wow.

11. wxman2003 Suspended

Zagg is the most overpriced piece of garbage on the market. You can find the same quality screen protectors on amazon or monoprice for less than $10 for a 3 pack.

12. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Zagg is utter crap. Rubbery, sticky, orange peel, edges peel up, overpriced. Monoprice has protectors that walk all over Zagg. $1.61 for 3.

13. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

I hadn't heard of Monoprice before today -- going to check it out, thanks!

I want a generic lightning cable too, but unfortunately for $11 + $2 shipping, I'd rather spend the extra $7 and have the Apple product

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

I would just get the apple cable. They are well made, have a year warranty, etc.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083105&p_id=9932&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is the place to get cheap-well built cables, wires, adapters, etc.

15. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

The 6 ft cable is less than a dollar more!

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Zagg is utter garbage. The BEST screen protector on the planet IMO is made by Power Support... The crytal clear one is great and feels almost as good as the naked screen. I have one on my ipad... with that said, I have NEVER used a screen protector on my phone and never had a scratch. The nice thing about the PS product is that it goes on dry and can not orange peel. I highly recommend it.

http://www.powersupportintl.com/AFP-Crystal-Film-for-iPhone-5s-5c-5-p/pjk-01.htm

17. deraj090 thread starter macrumors regular

18. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I just replaced my iPad and have decided to go bare bones for the first time with the new one. Time was, iPods had soft plastic screens and they did get scratched. These days, apple is spending a fortune on specialty glass built right in. If you have an issue, it will be with some kind a larger event like the shattered panels they show in the drop test videos, not so much rub lines from smaller incidents. The advantage any more is that you can say 'had a shield since day one' when you sell it.