ZAGG invisible shield discoloration or staining solution??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jrp8, Aug 17, 2009.

1. jrp8 macrumors newbie

Ok, my white iphone 3g has been covered in ZAGG invisible shields since I first bought it (over a year ago). With that said, let me tell you the fate of the three IS's that have come and gone thus far:

IS #1 -- improperly installed, due to my own inexperience with the product and began to peel back along the edges. I didn't buy the IS through ZAGG (used bestbuy instead) and therefore did not have the lifetime warranty because I lost my receipt

IS #2 -- installed properly and was very happy with the product until about 3 months into I noticed that the IS began to become discolored and turned a mixture between yellow and blue (Actually a puke color). I had gotten this IS as a gift and therefore did not have the receipt, so I finally decided that I'm going to buy a third IS and this time I was going to keep the receipt and register the product.

IS #3 -- I've now had this IS on for about three months and I am extremely happy with the purchase and would/do recommend the product to all of my friends (actually even bought a fourth IS for my girlfriend) BUT I am seeing the discoloration again.

PLEASE, somebody tell me how to get rid of this or if the warranty covers this horrible flaw in the plastic turning puke colored. I just figure at this point that I have spent over $100.00 on invisible shields and I really don't want to spend any more. I will try to get a quick picture of the back my phone to show you guys how disgusting it is.

2. jrp8 thread starter macrumors newbie

pictures

here are the pictures I promised (I made sure to get the rolling stones LP hanging on my wall in there for all of you to enjoy).....note that the flash for the camera actually makes it appear better than it is and that it is truly a little greener than you can see in the attachments.

Attached Files:

3. calvy macrumors 65816

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. IS is a piece of garbage. Take that crap off your phone, put it in the trash, and never look back. Unless of course you love that whole "plastic on the furniture" look.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That doesn't look nice at all.. pertaining to yellowish

5. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Perfect analogy there. :D

6. Atenza6 macrumors member

There is no way to avoid discoloration with any type of skin you use when you have a white iphone. So ya, you might want to just accept it, remove it, and toss it in the closest garbage can to your phone.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

I have a BSE full protection on mines and the edges look dirty like that too. I can see that near the edges its starting to turn a pink color. I was trying to go caseless, but it looks like I'm going to have to get one. I'm going to take the backing of the shield off tomorrow. I can't stand the dirty edges. It looks very unprofessional when I'm around someone. It makes me seem like a dirty person.

8. jrp8 thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately, I agreed with you and everyone else and was forced to remove my 3rd IS.... oh well, guess I'll just got nude until I find a better alternative!

9. calvy macrumors 65816

Like you, I really wanted the IS or BSE to be my perfect solution. But I found it to be much less than desired. The edges got dirty, and wore. I never kept mine on long enough to discolor, though I'm sure it would have.

I pulled the thing off and got a case from Elago Designs. I don't necessarily recommend that particular brand, but something like it or the Incipio Feather might fit your needs. I've been thoroughly pleased with my Elago until the matte black finish started to wear off. other friends of mine with this particular case have had it crack from normal use. So I'm about to try an Incipio Feather personally.

I've always hated cases, as they add too much bulk and make the phone look trashier IN MY OPINION. But I tried this Elago and have had it on my phone ever since.

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Best Skins Ever is perfect on black, anything would be hard on a white surface so don't blame the material.

Get Wrapsol. Problem solved.

11. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

STEP AWAY, FROM THE I.S. ....that looks awful!:(

12. Steve Lattamore macrumors newbie

Love my Zagg, but that does look horrible! I only use the screen cover and a case for the body.