Zagg Invisible Shield HD orange peel effect, will it go away?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rbkhockey83, May 25, 2012.

1. rbkhockey83 macrumors member

Sorry I posted this in the iPhone section.. Mod can delete

So today I picked up a new iPad at Best Buy and got the Zagg Invisible Shield HD, that's what they recommended. They were going to charge $15 to install it which is ridiculous. When I got home I was not happy to find out you have to spray it with their magical solution when you apply it. I'm usually very good at installing static screen protectors but this one pissed me off because I just finished applying it after an hour or working the shield and I used 75% of that liquid it comes with. But now there's a slight orange peel effect on pretty much the whole thing. Not many bubbles though. It's sitting on my desk infront of my iMac and I can't even read the "MacRumors" text (In the upper left of the screen) in the reflection of my screen on my ipad. Will this effect go way after a day or two? I read that the HD version was supposed to get rid of the orange peel effect but this is REALLY pissing me off. Best Buy charged me $35 for this POS.:mad:

2. nfrederick macrumors newbie

Best Buy charged you 35 dollars sure but YOU are the one that gave them the money. I have never had any issues with Zagg products and the "orange peel effect" does not cause any visibility issues. Chances are you did a bad install. Take it back to Best Buy if you don't like it, simple solution.

Also, it can take up to a week sometimes for all the liquid to dry and completely adhere to the screen.

3. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

I have the non HD one and have no orange peel effect. :eek:

4. Holoshed macrumors regular

You know, I have to say I used to be a zagg zealot (literally) and now I have changed, I would remove it and see if they would refund it. I know that zagg.com will refund a used one if bought through them but in this case I can't say.

The solution is nothing but water with a bit of baby soap added to it, it allows you to move the film around without it sticking to the device. That is the sole purpose. When you squeegee the water out from a place it sticks to the device.

With that said, I would mention the orange peel effect is the #1 issue reported with zagg films. I have used zagg on everything from my laptops to my phones to my ipads. I will no longer purchase from them. They are not a bad product per se its just... it is worth a lot of trouble to make it work right and install right etc. Why do you think its free replacements. As a zagg zealot I actually got free shipping on replacements so all I had to do was pay to send the old one back. When one messed up I just tore it off, ordered a replacement and sent the old one back. They say you can return it if damaged but I would just peel it off when it peeled in a part and they never denied me the replacement.

In my personal opinion, you really ought to check out powersupportusa.com because I got a power support anti-glare front for my iphone the other day at the apple store on a whim and man, I love it! I will eventually be getting something from them for my ipad too.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. Orange peel does not. +1 for PS -- or SGP.

6. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

7. whatdoiknw macrumors member

it won't go away but you will get used to it (it does not get worse over time per post above me). it does help add some grip to the phone if you go caseless.

having said that, after a long time zagg users, i've swtiched to wrapsol for my mobile devices. (no orange peel effect)

8. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

I buy one yesterday full body for 15$ bucks and free foam bottle let's hope no orange peel effect

9. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

Did you trap bits of dust under it? I've seen people use a hair dryer on medium to smooth out bubbles when installing Zagg's invisible shield, maybe that'll help?

But really, the invisible shield might be good as a skin for the device itself, but I find its pretty horrible as a screen protector, its too grippy for the fingers to slide.