Zagg Invisible Shield staining question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by k-sherms, Jul 16, 2009.

1. k-sherms macrumors newbie

I put the Zagg Invisible Shield on my White 3G S just over a week ago, and already it is being stained all over, with dark black and blue marks. It looks terrible on the white phone, especially around the corners. I'm curious if anyone else is having this issue, with the zagg staining, or if there is a way to clean it?
    thanks

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I've had that problem; blue from jeans, and brown/black from normal grime. The only upside is that zagg replaces the sheild for free. I never did find a way to clean it, just took it as part of the nature of the beast.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, same problem here, never noticed it before because I had a black iPhone. But with the white iPhone it's ugly and obvious.

In my case I have a black incase holster I put it in, and it looks like it picks up the coloring from the balck velvet lining inside of the holster, leaving dingy brown and black stains that don't go away even after cleaning.

I'm waiting on my replacement from Zagg, but this will really get annoying having to apply a new one every few weeks if this keeps up.

4. k-sherms thread starter macrumors newbie

zagg is going to charge me 6$ shipping for a replacement. i know it's not much, but to do that often, to kept getting a fresh one without stains seems a bit much.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I never had the staining of the OP's nature; but I did notice that my 3G White was a darker tint of yellow and it would peel on the edges....:(:(:(

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

I had IS on my white 3g and didn't have the drastic color changes the OP is speaking of...... but did have a yellowing effect that I didn't get with bodyguardz. I do like the feel of IS better but didn't get the color change with BG.

7. actorkid macrumors 6502

i've used an invisible shield on my first gen and my 3GS and I've never had a color problem like that. I carry my phone in my pocket everywhere i go, and i've never gotten grime all over it.

The only coloring problem i've come across is that the inivisible shield will begin to turn yellow over time. It was very noticeable on my first gen, but i don't think it will be much of a problem with my black 3GS

a little side note: my Invisible shield was on my first gen iPhone for almost a year and a half before it started yellowing

maybe wash out your pockets more thoroughly? idk...

8. gumball981 macrumors member

I had the IS on my black 3G...didn't notice anything until the corners started peeling up after about 2 months and I decided to take off the whole thing...both front and back of the IS were dyed slightly blue.

It wasn't noticeable on my phone, but once I took it off I could see the stains.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I used to be a big proponent of the Invisible Shield, but they've lost their luster for me lately.
    • Like the OP, they seem to pick up stains far too easily.
    • It only takes about two weeks of putting them in and out of your pocket for the edges to begin to bubble and come off.
    • I know they'll send a new one, but you have to pay shipping and putting them on is a pain in the a$$ to begin with.
    I, for one, could use a better solution.

10. Blueravr macrumors member

it was .01 for the replacement and 3.95 for the shipping for 3.96 total for Me. I replaced two weeks ago.

11. davyreins macrumors 6502

I never had any issues with staining, but the corners did peal off for me. I'm sure that is mainly my fault, but putting it on perfectly around the corners isn't the easiest.

12. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I've done this on my 3g and my macbook and now my 3GS front part had no problems installing, However the back is a b**ch to put on. I dont see how the corners fit properly. Other than it serves a good purpose barely visible and good protection. Prefer that than having the phone covered by some silly casing

13. cni2i macrumors member

I don't think it's all u. I had mine "professionally" installed and it looked great for about 3 weeks. The corners would start to lift and pick up a lot of dirt/lint etc. underneath. I haven't noticed the yellowing effect b/c I have it on a black iphone.

I was planning to get a white 3gs...but am reconsidering after hearing the negatives about the white backing.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, the War Department has a black 3GS and her IS was also put on professionally and the corners are peeling and there's some brown staining of the IS from her brown Griffin case that she's been using since she had her 3G... :eek::eek::eek:

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The cuts on IS suck and are prone to lifting. Best Skins Ever cut their skins much better and don't have the problem of peeling up. They still may stain, but the skin stays down unlike IS.