Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
How the hell do you fit the black of these?! Been trying for nearly 2hours, the front was fine but they are such small tolerances that the corners are really difficuit to get to stay down?! :mad:

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
How the hell do you fit the black of these?! Been trying for nearly 2hours, the front was fine but they are such small tolerances that the corners are really difficuit to get to stay down?! :mad:

I would just get it as good as you can, then let it sit over night. Once you've let it sit over night, try the palming technique to get the corners down.

The palming technique is simply cupping your hands and pressing the corners into your palm to get a good fit.

I've also heard/seen that using a blow dryer on a low setting also can help. Try putting "invisible shield installation" on YouTube and you'll get a lot of good tips.

Hope that helps,

snverhallen

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks, was tempted to cut the corners off at one point! I did have it on but found out that part o my vloume button was covered with the shield which then left a bubble. I've also now found a bit of dust or something else under the shield-can you take them off again after like 10 hours after original install?

Also is it water in the spray tube, just that mine is nearly run out already.

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
the stuff in the spray tube is just water wish a little dish soap, on bestskinsever website it says 10oz of water with a few drops of dish soap works best

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks, was tempted to cut the corners off at one point! I did have it on but found out that part o my vloume button was covered with the shield which then left a bubble. I've also now found a bit of dust or something else under the shield-can you take them off again after like 10 hours after original install?

Also is it water in the spray tube, just that mine is nearly run out already.

Unfortunately I don't think you can re-apply after such a long period of time. You'd have to put a new one on.

snverhallen

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
Managed to re-apply. But cant get the corners to stay down, any tips?

hmmm, my friend had the same problem and ending up scraping it and buying a case. He did leave the front protector on that works very well.

I am going to buy just the front protector as his has seen battle and the shield looks fine. light scratches but i am sure once he peels it off his glass will be squeaky clean. he did say it is a royal pain and you have to take your time putting it on.

but the back part he tried his best to keep the corners down, wouldn't stick, so he trimmed it and finally he just scrapped it.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Here's what I did on the back:
Apply it with generous amounts of fluid and line it up top to bottom and side to side. squeegee out most of the liquid. Make sure that the volume buttons are lined up correctly and that the skin covers equal amounts of the chrome on the left and right. Ignore the corners for now.
Leave it alone for 20 mins.
After 20 mins the skin will have dried enough so that it no longer slides on the back. Spend a few minutes on the corners. lining them up should be easier since the back is not sliding. If they don't stick, don't worry about it for now.
Leave it alone for 10 mins and try the corners again. As the film dries, it will reach the right tackiness and stick easily. Try sticking the corners every 10 mins or so until they final stay down. After an hour or so, you should have a nice looking install.
FYI - continue to check on it every 10 mins, even after it appears to be done. The sides may come un-done and you will want to get them back down before it cures.
Let the phone sit over night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.