Zagg IP5 shield and Customer experience......buyer beware

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Nepaiphoneuser, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Nepaiphoneuser macrumors member

Please forgive the length of this as I just want to share the story,

I have used Zagg's InvisibleSHIELD for my products since my touch screen needs started. I have used them on Android devices and all my apple products up to my current iPhone 5

I have never truly had any customer service issues and product problems however the design with the iPhone 5 shield seems to end that streak of satisfaction on both product and service.

Within hours of a "professional" installation at a mall kiosk, I had severe bubbling hazing and peeling of the product. This design has a cutout area both the home button and earpiece/camera thus leaving an area of screen however a small area unprotected. After this initial installation he told me he was missing one of the side shields that cover the bands and I could return for one when he had them in stock or visit any other kiosk or call Zagg's customer service line.

When I returned to the kiosk the following day there was a different employee working there who looked at it and said he can replace it, we'll he tried!! After his horrible installation attempt he proceeded to inform me that it was his first day, he tried 3 times and on his 4th attempt advised me he was out and per their policy would not offer a refund.

An email to Zagg however courteous was unhelpful with this issue, they offered a warranty replacement, but I would need to return the product....I have no product to return and the only form of receipt was a text I received from the reseller as he used a square app to take payment.

So this is where the story ends- out $30 and no shield

2. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

don't have any stories to share about their customer service but really dislike their screen protectors. yucky, tacky, orange-y peel with rainbow effects everywhere.

3. Nepaiphoneuser thread starter macrumors member

Their new HD e treme screen protector is great! no orange peel feel: smooth as glass

Update: the zagg CEO sent me an email and is shipping me a new set at no charge, it's too bad It took an Internet review and several emails to get a response

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It could have been far worse, look at this story. http://epicagear.com/how-zagg-best-buy-ruined-my-iphone-5/

Same thing happened to my phone luckily Apple was gracious enough to replace it under warranty since the moisture trigger wasn't activated. Best Buy was far less helpful with me than with the guy in the story. They kept saying the fluid was a gel and couldn't see how it could get in the bezel. Basically they were saying it was defect in my phone that allowed it to happen and refused to own up to their mistake.

Those installers are untrained idiots that likely have no clue what they're doing, if I get another film cover it would never be a wet application model.

At the end of the day Best Buy and Zagg have lost any potential business from me, if you can't own up to your mistakes and make it right then you have no business handling others phones.

5. JBG87 macrumors member

i got a zagg installed i paid for too, the back install peeled off with the ugly griffin slider case

the front was horrible from the beginning there was a big dust glob on the screen, i took it back and instead of redoing it he peeled it off and tried to scrape at it and reapplied it and it looked worst from before so i took it off but i still have it

6. thorn73, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

thorn73 macrumors newbie

Why anybody would buy a Zagg product is beyond me. I have tried them twice. Horrible experience both the "professional" install at a Zagg kiosk and with customer service trying to them fixed. Never again, powersupport screen protectors all the way for me. Not to mention the Zagg's look terrible on the phone and feel terrible.

7. buddybd macrumors 6502

Is Zagg's solution any different from ordinary soap water?

I installed XtremeGuards on my phone without issue, but I take my time to squegee the water from the right side or the lower left side of the phone since there are no holes around there.

I had Zagg on my 4S as well, did the same and it worked the same, but it had the horrible orange peel so I threw it away after a couple of months. Not buying from them again because of that. The new HD might be different but I'm not even willing to take that risk.

8. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Agreed. I had a Zagg on my 2nd gen iPod touch.. and since that, never, ever again. Now I just go naked / use PowerSupport if I'm feeling truly careful. God that stuff felt like a condom for my phone.