Zagg iPad 2 back shield

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by duceswild, Mar 16, 2011.

1. duceswild macrumors newbie

Anyone get just the back shield yet for the iPad 2? Been thinking of getting one but wanted to see what everyone thought of them. I am only planning to get it to cover the back

Do you know if it would cover the sides as well?

2. dread macrumors 6502a

I read that they didn't fit correctly. Check the accessory forum

3. dmb420 macrumors member

IMO, zagg screen and body protectors suck.

The plastic isn't smooth. It has these tiny little ripples in it, its hard to describe... You'd have to see it in person.

I recommend screen protectors from powersupportusa.com - I've used both zagg and powersupportusa screen protectors. PSUSA is definitely superior.

4. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I have never had any problems with Zagg covers over any others I have tried. I do know if you don't get them on right they don't look right. I can't even tell I have one on. There is a trick to getting them on however.

5. blueselvedge macrumors newbie

Zagg is great. i have been using them for years.

6. dmb420 macrumors member

I definitely applied it correctly. I've applied lots of these over the years. I've gone with zagg numerous times because they tend to be the first to bring the screen protectors to market for new products. I usually buy a zagg protector and then switch to power support usa once they launch their protectors.

Let me elaborate on the problems I have with zagg. The plastic is smooth to the touch, and from a top-down view it also looks smooth. But if you hold it at the right angle you can see these tiny tiny little imperfections in the plastic. I don't know what to compare it to, its so small that most people probably don't notice it. I'm certain that i didn't receive a faulty batch or anything, as I've witnessed this with zagg screen protectors for nearly two years.

To be perfectly honest, the zagg protectors work just fine. The clarity of the protector is fine, too. However, once I switched to a protector from power support usa, the difference was very noticeable. I really wish I had pictures comparing the two.

Anyways, just my two cents. :cool:

7. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Zagg protective film has a reflective quality similar to a new/cheap paint job on a car
    [​IMG]

but like he said, you only notice it when holding the device at an extreme angle in a reflection. when in use it doesn't look any different than the ipad itself (though for the back it'd be glossy instead of matte)

It does have a slightly rubbery feel which is why many people don't like using it on the front screen. they like having less friction from the glass or from a harder plastic screen protector.

The benefit to zagg products (and other companies that use a similar material) is that they are very durable. many things that would scratch your screen will scratch the shield to a small extent (more similar to a dent) which it will recover from and you won't notice it. however the harder plastic shields will simply get scratched themselves instead of your ipad screen so you'll have to replace them (zagg's come with a lifetime warranty so if it ever gets scratched they'll replace it for free, even if it was your fault)

zagg also announced they've fixed the alignment issues with the ipad 2 and the new stock should be out in about a week.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

9. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'm waiting for the Zagg Leatherskin, I had it on my iPad 1, and I loved it. I hope they make them that will match the leather Smart Cover well.

10. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I was looking at that on their website. I don't understand why it wouldn't fit perfectly to the edges of the pad (1). Why purposely make it short?

11. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Not sure what you mean. I don't see where it is short. Are you just talking about what the picture shows? Mine fit very well.

12. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

ya, in the picture it doesn't look like it fits to the very edge of the rounded back of the ipad. (It makes sense to not go over the sides)

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It may have been a tiny bit short, but not much. It fit and looked real nice. And because of the rounded back it still fully protected it when you set it down, which is what I wanted.

14. dmb420 macrumors member

Thanks for posting this. This is exactly what I'm talking about! :)

15. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I'm surprised they're not releasing shades to match the smart covers.

16. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I don't mind the orange skin effect on the back of my iPad but for the screen I use Radtech screen protectors.

I stopped using Zagg a couple of years ago. I get Best Skins Ever now. Cheaper and they've fit well and applied easily to everything I've used them on. Both start to look a bit tatty round the edges after awhile but at least BSE is cheaper to replace.

17. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

The ipad1 back zagg shields felt great, you just needed to apply them correctly. They felt and looked very smooth when I did it. Don't know where you're getting these tiny ripples, did you let it sit out for a full 24 hours first before using the device? I was so pleased that I bought 3 more zagg shields from there site.

18. Gix1k, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

You could have bought a full bse for less, or a back only for half the price...

Why go with eBay?

20. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

That's the point. When applied to the back it's grippy. Perfect for not dropping the slick iPad. I would never put it on the screen but for the body zagg is great.

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have always used BSE - Bestskinsever. Zagg and BodyGuardz and a lot of the others aren't usually cut as well and cost more. The BSE doesn't have the orange peel effect. A little grip which is good but really quite smooth. I have a pic from putting it on my old iPad which I sold that I will track down and post a little later. Just got the one for my new iPad and will put that on tonight. Can post pics of that after it is done.

Go BSE and you will be quite happy.

22. David R macrumors 6502

I've been happy with Zagg in the past, but I thought I'd try BSE this time around. It shipped today..... so it'll get here very soon and ready for installation as soon as the iPad arrives.

23. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Well cause the zagg front only at best buy is 30 by itself plus tax. I got the back cover for 19 shipped.

24. ozred macrumors 6502

So true. Thanks for posting a good picture for all to see.

With all due modesty I'm very skilled at applying decals, stickers, screen protectors, and the like. The only point being none of these are truly as good as they could be. I've tried nearly every brand available and finally decided to just relax and enjoy my devices uncovered.