ZAGG Logitech Case for new iPad (supposedly)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by aphesian, Apr 6, 2012.

1. aphesian macrumors newbie

I just received my ZAGG Logitech Bluetooth keyboard case (ordered on March 12th, with an estimated delivery of March 23rd, but that's a different story) today, but it came in the box that explicitly stated "for iPad 2".

Has anyone else had this experience? Is ZAGG just sending old iPad 2 cases out because they know they will fit the new iPad without issues? I called ZAGG and the representative claimed that they put the new redesigned models in the old iPad 2 boxes. Given that the physical differences between the two are so slim it's hard to argue or instantly tell the difference, but it sounds like BS to me.

Ordinarily this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but while I've been waiting for the supposedly redesigned new iPad Logitech case many other online retailers have sold the iPad 2 version at very large discounts. I would have taken advantage of these offers had I known that is what I would be getting anyway. I only paid the $99 assuming that I'd be getting a better fit or something to justify the price. Plus their website clearly states when placing the order that you are choosing the "made for the new iPad" model.

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logitech-ipad-3-keyboard-case

Just a frustration situation to be in after waiting nearly a month to get the case only to get something I could have gone to any local store and picked up at any time at a much lower price. Now I either have to just make do with it or go through the whole return process and potential long wait again on a now sold out product. ZAGG was really no help at all during my call and insisted they magically inserted the new iPad case designs into sealed iPad 2 labeled boxes.

2. Lenow macrumors regular

Waiting for Zagg Folio in Alligator

A number of other threads have indicated that Zagg claims to have a shortage of packaging for the new iPad cases in the black color, but that the ones shipped for the new iPad are for the new iPad. I have no idea if any of this is true, but if you search this forum, you will see similar postings.

I am still waiting for mine, ship date of April 13 and am waiting for shipping of my new Adonit Writer Plus for the new iPad. When I get them both, I will post my own review of both cases.

As an aside, my wife has the Adonit Writer Plus for the iPad 2 and just loves it.

3. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I call total BS on Zagg for their claim. They managed to produce "updated" keyboards, but somehow never had the time to do same with their packaging?? I wonder.....<cough>......whether it's a coincidence that their folio cases customers have sleep/wake function not working? Or that they are getting free replacements because ....<cough>..... they didn't have " new" boxes for them either??

Look for the thread on the Zagg folio, then call them back and demand a replacement/refund.

4. McRCN macrumors regular

I already had a Zaggfolio for my iPad 2 that I bought last year. I bought the new iPad and it fits the my Zaggfolio without any issues. No need to buy a new one.

5. SignalCorps macrumors newbie

Zagg Folio a total success on iPad3/"new iPad"

Wife is a speedy touch typist but was only able to use her new iPad3 at a slow one-finger hunt and peck. We walked into a Verizon store on March 22 and checked out a black Zagg Folio for iPad2, which I had read about. It worked fine, she loved the keyboard, and we walked out having paid $99 + tax, same as online. By luck or Zagg, the magnet in ours is polarized correctly; it properly turns off the iPad backlight. (I used a compass to make sure the case even had a magnet--the one thing Zagg doesn't clarify on Web, leaflet, or box.) After a week and a half, Zagg Folio "for iPad2" remains a real winner on our iPad3.

6. zagg2 macrumors newbie

ZAGG info

The folios that have shipped for the new iPad were designed for the new iPad and will fit the iPad 2 as well. The new packaging does have a new UPC bar code and the inside of the folio itself will have a small number 2 stamped into the liner on the upper left hand corner (the "2" refers to version 2 of the folio as this was the second folio design released by ZAGG).
    The sleep/wake function has been identified and corrected with all new shipments. This is due to the switch in the iPad itself requiring the negative polarity of the magnet in the folio to face the screen when closed. This was not the case with the iPad 2. Should your folio not properly put the new iPad into sleep mode, please contact customer service at ZAGG for a replacement.
    In reply to the Logitech Keyboard Case by ZAGG, as the dimensions for the iPad 2 and the new iPad are the same, the original product works equally well with either iPad.

7. MaciOSX macrumors newbie

I saw the ZaggFolio for the New iPad and was blown away at how it made the iPad look like a little computer only better so I just bought one!

The one feature that's missing for me is a key to activate dictation (like on the soft keyboard) Does the latest revision of the keyboard address this or.... is it possible to re-map the keyboard language key (in the bottom left of the keyboard) to activate dictation? I hope so.

Thanks!

8. MaciOSX macrumors newbie

Hi, One more question. Is it possible for the arrow keys to work with Safari (at least as a back button?) That would be really helpful.... Thanks

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

These are the old cases from Logitech. I doubt you will see one for the new ipad specifically when they have the folio. I cannot see why it would not work with the IP3 as the LxW dimensions of the IP3 are the same as the IP2.

I did not like having to pry this case off and the fact that there is nothing between the keyboard and the screen.

These were just on a liquidation site (last 2 days) for $20

10. aphesian thread starter macrumors newbie

My problem is with ZAGG's marketing. The Logitech case is still linked separately on their site as if there is a different model for the new iPad. That and the blatant lies and excuses first given to me during my initial call with ZAGG.

They eventually admitted via email that the Logitech case has not been changed at all, and I was indeed sent the same iPad 2 model that has been available on clearance for much less than the $99 on their site.

I sent the keyboard back today (ZAGG paid return shipping), and just picked up a clearance iPad 2 Logitech keyboard for $25. The magnets in the case sent by ZAGG did not put the new iPad to sleep correctly.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Where did you find the clearance case?

12. LApple macrumors newbie

ZAGG full of BS these days...

I was comparing the BodyGuardz – UltraTough Clear Skins Full Body set and the ZAGG Invisible Shield - HD Maximum Coverage package for the new iPad. :apple: Before I finalized which one to get, I called both companies and enquired about their products.

BodyGuardz told me that the Clear Skins set for the new iPad is the same model for the iPad 2 as their thickness difference is really insignificant for them to make a new one just for the new iPad. :rolleyes:

ZAGG told me that since the new iPad is thicker than the previous model, so they made a new HD Maximum Coverage set just for the new iPad and the back skin covers the 4 corners of the iPad too. :) The stupid me ended up to go with ZAGG because of that.

While I was waiting for my order from ZAGG, I found interested in their Logitech Keyboard Case for the new iPad. Since it was out of stock, so I called them and asked when the new stock will come in. I also asked if they really made a new keyboard case just for the new iPad. The lady told me “no”, they have the same Keyboard Case for both iPad2 and the new iPad for the thickness difference is insignificant. OK, I told myself probably because the Keyboard Case covers the screen of the iPad, all it needs is to grab the 4 corners from the front to secure the device, maybe that’s why they have the same one for both models.

Waited over one week, I finally received the Invisible Shield package. When I pulled out the package from the mailing envelop, it has a gold color label stating “COMPATIBLE WITH iPad 2 and iPad (3rd gen.)" and there is another white label stating “MAXIMUM” covers the word “SCREEN” on the package. :confused: Before I opened it, I called ZAGG and asked them about it, they said the iPAD 2 and the new iPad have the same dimesions on the front that’s why the newly designed HD screen protection sheet works for both iPad 2 and the new iPad (that's make sense), but the back skin is really designed for the new iPad only. Guess what? When I opened the package, the back skin clearly stated for iPad2 and it’s only the Easy Install back skin (which doesn’t cover the 4 corners of the iPad) not the maximum one (which will covers the 4 corners of the iPad). :mad:

So, I called ZAGG again but this time I first asked the lady about if they have the same Logitect Keyboard Case for both iPad2 and the new iPad. The lady told me that the new iPad is thicker than the iPad 2 that's why they have a new one just for the new iPad. When I asked her if she can give me the manufacturer number of the “new” Keybaord Case that is “just” for the new iPad. She told me each store will have their own SKU number for the product, I told her I only need the manufacture number from them not the SKU number, then she told me their system is down and she can't pull that information for me. After that, I asked her about the Invisible Shield for the new iPad, she said they have a new one just for the new iPad. When I asked why the package I received has those labels on it, she said they have no control over the retailers if they put those labels on the package. I told her that it was shipped directly from ZAGG and she pretended that she didn’t hear me and ended the phone conversation.

Lesson learnt :(, from now on I will go with BodyGuardz, no more ZAGG!