Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
bilibug said:
I got one yesterday...

To be honest, I think it is rather cheaply made. The internal plastic parts, especially the on/off switch, remind me of those cheap dollar store toys and gadgets. My iPad rocks, and doesn't sit flush when in the case, indicating that the ridge above the keyboard is higher than the rubber that the iPad is sitting on. The rubber around the edge is not evenly placed, and does not hold the iPad well. I find it hard to believe this thing survived any kind of drop test, and qualifies as protection for an iPad.

The keys are a bit small, and I feel like I'm typing inside a tray. Cool idea, but for $100, it should be of much better quality. I would almost be embarrassed to use it in public. I think I'm going to return it.

Couldn't disagree more. I have had nothing but positive comments when ive had mine out in public. Mine sits flush as well. I have to really do some work to get the iPad out sometimes too. Sounds to me like you either have a dud or you're hard to please.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I used it a few more hours and I like it even more now!

The angle of the ipad is really nice to watch movies. I will be using netflix and air video more.

As for productivity Documents to go and blogpress both work great with it. Chatting is also a lot better now.

And for the icing on the cake, the ipad's lcd illuminates the keyboard in the dark, making it look backlit. Awesome. :)

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I've gotten nothing but compliments so far from people who have seen it.

And, I don't really understand using it face up... just use the iPad naked.

That's what I love most about this, it's really easy to just take the iPad out and use it as a tablet (which I do most of the time anyways), then place it in the stand if you want to type some. When you are all finished, fold it all up, put it in your bag, and you're off.

It's more of a portable keyboard stand that folds up nicely with the iPad, than it is a case.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
Couldn't disagree more. .... Sounds to me like you either have a dud or you're hard to please.

Thanks for the personal attack. Maybe it's that I expect value for my hard earned money?

While I agree that the rocking issue may be a defect, I am still not impressed with the build quality, considering the price. I'd like to know how much the manufacturing cost is, because it seems to me that Zagg cut just about every corner they could. It could have been a great product, but I think it is just a great idea executed with cheap materials.

Look at the Apple Bluetooth keyboard in comparison. Of course not the same form factor, but much higher quality build, including materials, for a slightly lower price. Again, I see the Zagg Mate as no more than a cheaply made plastic keyboard in an aluminum tray. Fine if you think it is great, but I believed the hype and got disappointed. I'm sure I am not the only one, and perhaps my dissenting view will help others evaluate the product more realistically.

And, by the way, I've shown it to 2 other people who had the same reaction I did - nice idea, but cheaply made and not worth $100.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
Couldn't disagree more. I have had nothing but positive comments when ive had mine out in public. Mine sits flush as well. I have to really do some work to get the iPad out sometimes too. Sounds to me like you either have a dud or you're hard to please.

Never understood why so many here are concerned with comments from strangers in public. Do you advertise the thing to intentionally attract attention to yourself hoping someone will take notice of your cool device?

I bought my gadgets for me, and don't care what others think.

Some people need to grow up I think:D

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Never understood why so many here are concerned with comments from strangers in public. Do you advertise the thing to intentionally attract attention to yourself hoping someone will take notice of your cool device?

I bought my gadgets for me, and don't care what others think.

Some people need to grow up I think:D

Please point out where GaresTaylan said he/she was 'concerned with comments from strangers in public'. I will save you some time. He/she didn't, rendering the rest of your post irrelevant.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I received the non-keyboard version and I like the angles and fit...who needs a keyboard.

It was scratched out of the box but the good folks at Zagg are replacing it at their expense.

Ordered the invisasheild for it as well.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Invisashield should have come the case at these prices.

I did not care for the little note in the package that indicated that the Zaggmate was easily scratched and that we should get the invisashield to protect it.

They should have included it... and short of that should have made it clear that the unit scratched easily (at order time) so all of use could have ordered the shield (at 50% off and with the free shipping that was being offered at the time) and had it day 1 at delivery of the case.

The fact that your test model came with it (when its not standard) is a bit of a cheat.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I picked one of these up on Friday at Bestbuy on the way home. I had a $35 store credit so it help make the decision just a little easier. I say that because I don't know how much I will really use it. Most of my iPad use is sitting on the couch, as a passenger in a car or while traveling. Most of my specific use is surfing the web and such.

That said...I think this is is a nice piece of equipment. It seems to be well made for the price and functions perfectly.

All the comments about the keys being small are nuts. They have to be that size to fit into the appropriate space.....that just gets a big "DUH".

When I am mobile with my iPad....which is most of the time...I will carry in in this inside a messenger bag.

I will most likely get a shield installed on the back the next time I am near a Zagg stand at a mall.

Good stuff!

Steve

Rmv221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Since I started this reply on Dec 7, as of this date, I am still waiting! It's been shipped! Maybe before Christmas? It would be nice.:D

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I bought one for my wife recently at Best Buy and am thinking of getting one for myself. To those who complain it feels cheap -- I will agree that it doesn't "feel" as high quality as the iPad or the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, but then again, it's incredibly light for what it is, and I'll take that over the alternative any day. I'm very picky about adding too much bulk to my iOS devices. I think they HAD to use thin plastics and thin aluminum to achieve this light weight. Even so, it seems like this case will last quite a while.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
To those who complain it feels cheap -- I will agree that it doesn't "feel" as high quality as the iPad or the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard...

Such people don't know the difference between light and cheap or light and low quality. BTW, the Clamcase is back in stock.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I'm rather confused by the notion that it feels cheap. The only thing that comes off as cheap is the stand part, but I'm not sure how else that function could have been done.

Either way the case matches up very well to the iPad, imo.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'm rather confused by the notion that it feels cheap. The only thing that comes off as cheap is the stand part, but I'm not sure how else that function could have been done.

Either way the case matches up very well to the iPad, imo.

+1 People who think it's cheap or flimsy need to get a clue. Maybe ZAGG should make one out of steel so it wouldn't feel so 'cheap'. :D

Last edited:

EldoInTheWeeds

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I picked up a Zaggmate today. Works great. One issue though. I cannot get the arrow keys to work in Numbers though it works fine in Pages. Is there some way to make this work? I'd like to be able to enter data in a cell and then hit the arrow key to go to the next cell.

CDRacingZX6R

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Just picked up the Zaggmate today. Got to say I love it. Keyboard feels about the same size as say the early netbook keyboard on the Asus Eee PCs.

My only question is with the enter key. It feels normal and fine if you press it in the center and or left side of the key, but very stiff and makes a loud click if pressed toward the right end of the enter key.

No big deal, just wanted to know if this is a normal thing or if I need to exchange it at best buy.

crowmanuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I managed to get hold of one in the UK today and am so disappointed with the build quality I am returning it immediately. The aluminium edges are very poorly finished and the inner sponges (military grade :rolleyes:) are simply held in place with double sided tape (which had already come away from the edge on the unit I got). The on/off button looks and feels like something from a cheap McDonalds toy .... I must admit I think that the quality of the build is embarrasingly poor - to a point where it detracts from the iPad itself. There is absolutely no way I could see this keyboard lasting more than a few months with regular use. The stand part (which let's face it is a fairly critical aspect!) is just a joke ... fiddly, cheap and ... well .... just naff!

I know some people have already said they were happy with the quality and indeed I had read this thread prior to purchase as $99 isn't a cheap accessory but I was truly shocked at how poor the quality of this item was.

So disappointed as I really wanted this to be a keeper. :(

crowmanuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I was drinking orange juice when I read that and almost coated my monitor! :D

Eeeeeek! Sorry Saberon ;)

This case has made me really grumpy today ....and I've just noticed how bad the USB port on it is ... without doubt the worst quality Apple accessory I've ever bought ... and I've owned an iPhone bumper :eek:

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I got caught in the Zagg hype once and now I'm out $50 for a piece of junk product. Watching the Zaggmate go down in flames just makes me feel better that I will never fall for their advertising again.

CDRacingZX6R

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
I exchanged my Zaggmate today because of the strange enter key issues. This one seems to be fine... I love it, and plan on keeping it... But all these recent issues people are having has me a little worried...

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
This one seems to be fine... I love it, and plan on keeping it... But all these recent issues people are having has me a little worried...

What recent issues? There haven't been any issues, only people offering their subjective opinions about the product. Even if these people had identified something objective, how would that affect you?

My ZAGG/mate works fine and has from the day I bought it.

CDRacingZX6R

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
What recent issues? There haven't been any issues, only people offering their subjective opinions about the product. Even if these people had identified something objective, how would that affect you?

My ZAGG/mate works fine and has from the day I bought it.

Perhaps its because I already had a defective unit and had to exchange it this morning?

You may also want to try reading up on other forums... Theres a very large forum, much like this one, that is Ipad centric and full of people making complaints about various out of box defects. To Zaggs credit, there is a representative from Zagg offering to make things right with speedy exchanges. PM me if you would like the link.

Otherwise, no need to take it personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.