Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankieboy

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
The Zalman has a back that fully encloses the fans. From the pics, the CoolerMaster does not. My experience with another design that did not enclose the fans was that the wiring eventually got snagged on something and the fans no longer received power as a result.

I think you'd be pleased with the Zalman's build quality. I know I am.

elVince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I dont think ill have a problem with the wires, myself personally, but in terms of designs i thought that it is comparable because of how the coolmaster isnt confined and it allows more air flow under the mbp. I've read stuff about how you can cool down a mbp even by raising it a half inch propped up against an eraser or something, so maybe thats where the coolmaster excels and because of the price difference, it really just basically comes down to which one does the job of cooling it down better.

maconservative

macrumors regular
May 1, 2006
Republic of Texas
Rain Design mStand

I had the same heating issues while playing WoW on my 15" Late-2009 MBP. I began looking at coolers and decided on the Rain Design mStand. While not an active cooler, it does lift the notebook off the desk surface, providing better air circulation. The aluminum design also helps dissipate heat. As an added bonus, it looks great too.

http://www.raindesigninc.com
:apple:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Do these actually do anything for CPU and GPU temps? They will make the surface of the case cooler to the touch so they don't feel so hot. However they do not actually add any air flow to the heatsinks nor increase the heatsink surface area. So I do not see them actually effecting the temps meaningfully.

Most Windows laptops may benefit since the air intake for the heatsink is usually on the bottom. So on standard rubber feet there is a very small gap for air to squeeze through. The vent also usually gets blocked when in someones lap.

Macbooks on the other hand are actually designed to be laptops. Their intake and exhaust is out the back of the computer. Whether on your legs or sitting on a flat surface there is no restriction to airflow.

I would be interested in seeing some actual reviews of these. Where they put the CPU and GPU under 100% load and get reading of the CPU and GPU temperatures. With traditional notebooks with a bottom intake and what I would qualify as laptops with a rear intake and exhaust.

elVince

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I had the same heating issues while playing WoW on my 15" Late-2009 MBP. I began looking at coolers and decided on the Rain Design mStand. While not an active cooler, it does lift the notebook off the desk surface, providing better air circulation. The aluminum design also helps dissipate heat. As an added bonus, it looks great too.

http://www.raindesigninc.com
:apple:

Meh, i dont want to have to deal with an external keyboard

The reviews on that seem to be mixed between it actually cooling things down and the usb ports working?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.