ZDNet: My Theory on Siri

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Mar 13, 2012.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Interesting article. States why they think Siri is not on the iPad and when it will be added.

My Theory on Siri

2. HazyCloud, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm pretty sure Apple no longer receives a kickback from carriers. They did with the first, unsubsidized iPhone, but not since.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

Was just going to post this, that kickback is long gone. It was back when iPhone was only available on AT&T and only in the USA.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Yea, the kickback was on the data plan, IIRC. This was before Apple had carriers subsidize iPhones like all other phones.

6. iDvisic macrumors member

I'm not sure I agree with the article, but I'm pretty sure we can all agree on this: "My Theory on Siri" is ridiculously hard to say several times in rapid succession. :D

-->iDv.

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Isn't Siri still in beta? Probably a iOS 6 feature.

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There's no more additional kickback but contract iPhones still get a good chunk of change per contract. Siri is still in Beta and I think the final version will finally be free of server-dependent voice analysis. The only reason why the vocal engine is online right now is to collect usage stats so the tech can be improved.

9. Doombringer macrumors regular

Siri's not in for one reason: it's still in beta. They can handle it being a little flaky for phone users, but add in iPad users too? That's more hassle than it's worth, support wise.

You can see that the one big piece of the entire Siri technology, the voice recognition, *is* in the iPad. This tells me that this part of the technology is "further along" and they're welcoming the testing iPad users will give it. Now they just have to tighten up how Siri handles what she interprets, data usage, etc... and it will be ready for primetime.

10. iohass macrumors regular

I think it's the connection issue as well as hardware.

What does Siri do when you ask your 16gb wifi ipad where the nearest mcdonald's is? It doesn't have internet OR gps to find it for you.

So I guess Apple doesn't want to push beta software on more than one device at the same time as they need time to work out whatever bugs exist on iphone plus tweak it to different ipad configurations without compromising user experience.

11. iCarabma macrumors 6502

2 things.

First, it's rude to post the entire text of an article here. Even if it is ZDnet. If we care enough to read their opinion we should care enough to respect their work.

Second, I continue to believe it's a server issue. The next iPhone WILL HAVE Siri. Every iPhone thus far has sold more than every previous model. They have trouble keeping it up now as it is. Once they get that all sorted out, and once they remove the beta tag I bet you'll see Siri on an iPad.

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's now removed.

13. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

And the biggest reason for Siri being absent from the iPad is it's not feature-rich enough. On the iPhone where you Siri for quick cask setting reminders alarms and things of that nature. On the iPad we generally have more time to consume media and handle productive tasks such as typing a paper.

On the iPhone Siri is often used as a shortcut for accomplishing tasks in a really quick Time it automates everything. On the iPad however we generally have more time to do these things ourselves. Siri probably won't be present on the iPad until can better handle multitasking and aid our ability to be productive.

14. Meever macrumors 6502a

I wonder how useful siri would be on the iPad.

iPhone has constant connection to 3g+location services
    iPhone is smaller and usually within arm's reach (in your pocket)
    iPhone is easier to speak into (without looking silly)

iPad is offline as often as it's on.
    Usually when you're online on the iPad you're browsing/watching something/or checking email
    iPad is large and usually in a bag/sleeve/etc

Siri makes more sense on the iPhone.

This might be a way for Apple to differentiate the iPad and iPhone further. This new power hungry GPU and added heft might also be a indication of this branching as well.

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Who cares. Siri is a disaster. It also needs both 3G and GPS, so it's natural to not include it on the iPad.

16. Magnum Opus macrumors regular

I switched off when he said "English, British English, Australian English". That's like saying "English English". Stupid.

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

What's wrong with that? Siri is almost entirely based off the accent. Depending on which Siri you "choose", it listens for that accent. Apple's Siri FAQ site even says: "English (United States, United Kingdom, Australia)" which is basically what he said.

18. Magnum Opus macrumors regular

Yes it is based off the accent, but Americans don't have an English or British accent, so he can't claim English as American (especially when it's not even their official language!). He should have said "US English, British English, etc."

It's just very sloppy journalism.

19. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

And that right there is the reason folks. There's no guarantee that a Wi-Fi iPad would always have a connection to the internet like an iPhone. And Apple wouldn't make Siri available on the iPad LTE (with an always-on connection) and not on the iPad Wi-Fi. They would be blasted for that decision.

So neither iPad gets it. It's as simple as that. I think all of these other scenarios/conspiracy theories are overlooking this simple reality.