Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aveda6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
I just ran across this cooler on Engadget and was wondering what other Air owners thought about it as a viable option for heating issues. Since installing coolbook I generally don't have significant heating issues but it's nice to see a relatively compact alternative that opens up the back of the air to ensure proper cooling. It seems a bit expensive and I have no idea what the effects are on the battery life, but I thought I'd at least share the link.

http://www.moshimonde.com/zefyr.html

wordy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Toronto
Definitely looks nice, and thumbs up for making a pass through USB connector. Unfortunately, heat travels in response to the size of the temperature gradient. In this case, it's only the gradient from the case itself to the device, which is substantially smaller than from the processor to the case. That's basically another way of saying you want your heat sink on the processor (hottest part) to maximize the dissipation of heat.

I think a USB fan that blows into the vent holes on the bottom of the right side might actually be more effective (though definitely not as cool looking).

d907bs

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
i went to the moshimonde website and read more about how the heat cooler works.

because it's a conductive cooling system, the fan is not to cool the notebook, the fan is to cool the cooler that conducts heat out of the notebook.

5~6 degrees difference, seems like a big difference.....

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Thats only effective if the bottom of our macbook airs gets extremely hot, which it does in my case when I have it connected to a 2nd monitor. Otherwise, if I were at my kitchen table, the bottom stays relatively cool, pretty much rendering the Zefyr air cooler not as effective.

I might just get one to put it at the desk since glass is not extremely good at conducting heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.