Zephyr: great new multitasking tweak from chpwn

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bushbabywas, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bushbabywas macrumors member

Hey, just a heads up on this; I just bought Zephyr from cydia for £2 ($3). It allows you to swipe up from the bottom of the screen within any app to show the app switcher, and swipe left or right at the screen edges to switch to the previous/next app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEypDIqekQ

I've tried before to use activator to swipe from bottom right/left to activate the switcher, which as the virtue of being free. But it only seemed to work half the time, and there was no ability to switch to the next app. This seems to work all the time. Well worth a try.

Only thing I'd like to see is a) ability to drag the switcher back down to close and b) to swipe left back onto the homescreen, rather than having to press the home button.

2. PaulyD macrumors 6502

That is actually awesome!

In the video he does swipe down to close the taskbar again though?

3. bushbabywas thread starter macrumors member

ah didn't realise that. unfortunately you can only drag down if you keep your finger on the screen, so its only useful if you want to activate and then immediately deactivate the switcher.

you can't for example, drag up to activate, scroll through it, then drag down to deactivate. you have to press the home button.

I emailed chpwn and he said he planned to allow this in the next update. very, very minor niggle anyway though...

4. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Missed that in the video, good tweak though. Was always suprised Apple didnt implement a swipe up to enable the task switcher like the swipe down does for notification centre

5. Kayan macrumors 6502

This is a great fix, though it's possible to do this fix manually and free through iFile and inserting code. I was always disappointed that Apple didn't implement the same gestures in the iPad2 that allow you to quickly swipe between apps without pulling up the switcher bar. Now I just have to decide if I want to fork over the $3 price tag for it if I can do something similar with Activator. I might have to take out a loan for it...

6. bushbabywas thread starter macrumors member

didn't know about the iFile thing. I should say I really did try for a while to use Activator to open the appswitcher with swipes from the bottom of the screen, but I found it really frustrating. Would work maybe 50% of the time...

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Already bought and installed I figured it was worth the price of a cup of coffee. for convenience and I figured it would save some wear and tear on the home button. @Chpwn really comes up with some good stuff. Love to see him on Apples side if they would allow him the same freedom. Oh never mind that would never happen. :rolleyes:

8. Sensamic macrumors 68030

This is the tweak Ive been waiting for for a looooong time.

I hope they soon update it to allow some kind of gesture to close apps. That way i would never have to used again the home button.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Looks like a sweet tweak. Definitely buying it when I can jailbreak my 4S.
    Quick question. If I buy stuff and then restore my phone then jailbreak again, how do I get those things back? Are they linked to my device or something?

10. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Nice tweak, but still need to sort out some bugs. Even if you quit the app (I mean quit, not close) and swipe right the app will open again.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

cydia keeps track of your purchase when I switch from 3GS to the I4 all my purchases were there. I just had to sign in. From experience chpwn usually tweaks things until it's pretty smooth. I'm think he will update in the next few days.

12. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Damn, looks like a great tweak. Only thing is I use "swipe up from bottom" in activator to simulate pressing the home button. Choices..

Notification center messed up my other essential activator gesture by stealing the swipe down from top; used to use it to simulate the sleep button.

13. Sensamic macrumors 68030

The tweak works really really well. Its very responsive. Im surprised.

14. Kayan macrumors 6502

This made me laugh because I thought that I was the only one that thought like this. I have always programmed swiping gestures to "save" pressing the Home button. That in addition to the swipes being much faster for me than clicking/double-clikcing the button.

----------

Why don't you just override the stock swipe-down gesture using Activator and replace it with what you want it to do? You can reprogram Notification Center for another gesture if you want it.

15. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Tried that, but it doesn't work. Putting notification center on a different gesture, just makes it usable with both gestures. Also adding sleep button in place of swipe down from top. It seems the notification center gesture is locked on that gesture.:(

16. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Just tap on the screen and the taskbar will go down and disappear. No need to press home button.

17. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

18. qwasedral macrumors member

I haven't really found this tweak to be all that useful so far.

19. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Does multiflow have a way to exit an app and go to home menu? Thats what I need.

20. bushbabywas thread starter macrumors member

I found Zephyr much more useful when also using Springtomize to dim recent non-active apps in the switcher, and to allow apps to closed from the switcher without entering wiggle mode (the 'start editing' pref for the appswitcher in Springtomize). That way you know which apps are active and can close them far quicker than double-tapping home, tapping and holding to wiggle, then tapping 'x'.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is also a new app worth checking out Running Indicator tells you what apps are running in the background. Then allows you to quickly close it out. which could save battery and memory. which also removes them from the Multitask bar. pretty cool and free..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0M-tKtokaE

22. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

Yes. I love it!

http://www.multifl0w.com/

23. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

24. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Swiping up is definitely smoother and more consistent than using activator. Left/right swiped would be better when Chpwn enables switching apps without having to wait for them to load in between. The problem I'm running into is that the edges of the screen are maybe too sensitive. I've been setting off the app switcher all day and it gets annoying.

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Can you turn it off and just use the gesture for opening the multitasking tray?