Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
This looks interesting, Particularly the micoLEDs on the back of the display.

Reactions: Queen6

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Micro LED on the back is actually silly and it’s a gimmick at best and a waste of money because this will break at some point. It’s actually useless, but I guess the younger people will like this for a while, then they will just turn it off all together. I have stated before, my priorities is a great screen with 500 nits, good reliability, a great video card for gaming if possible and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Micro LED I guess a bit of fun for a few mins, at least you can turn them off else think D2D was a bit over enthusiastic on the aesthetics front IMO

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I like that Asus is trying something new and that AMD is finally a legit Intel competitor. However, this machine is not for me:

1. No TB3. That alone is DQ for me.
2. AMD hype. I've been through it couple of times and I'll believe AMD slides when somebody else verifies them. Engineering samples my butt, can't connect them to internet. It was totally impossible to load some benchmarks offline.
3. AMD CPU + AMD iGPU + NVidia dGPU. I'm not beta testing this, Optimus with Intel still doesn't work reliably all the time after a decade of development.
4. 14 inch with 180W power adapter, try to fit this into a typical ultrabook bag. You need a bigger bag? - well, maybe just get a 15 inch then. However I do like that it still allows charging through USB-C with lowered wattage, I wish other laptops with full power GPUs would allow that, so that's actually manageable - 65W small USB-C charger in the bag for office and travel, big brick in carry-on or at home.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Seen it, like it, could be in the future, depending on the mobility need 14" with decent GPU TX 2060 MxQ

Q-6
[automerge]1578521240[/automerge]
This is what bothers me the most - if you're going whole hog on AMD, just bite the bullet and use their dGPU

Simple more demand, Gaming, Nvidia. To me it could make for a decent portable workstation as long as ASUS has the thermals under control.

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.