Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
I headed over to the Duluth, GA Best Buy around 1pm on Sat with the hopes to check one out...

When I got there, there were 4 people standing around the table waiting to get a chance to play with the demo unit. We chatted a bit discussing various pros and cons to the device, to AT&T, the iPhone, etc.

When I got my turn to play with it I was very impressed by the unit. The (smoking hot!) young sales girl said that they sold a bunch of 16GB units in the morning, because that's all they had, but then UPS showed up later with a pallet full of various models and some people returned the 16GB models for the bigger ones. They were pushing us all hard to buy one. Pretty much the universal answer from all of us was "We're waiting for the 3G models." One guy did buy one when I mentioned that there was a Netflix app. He called his wife on the phone and 2 minutes later he told the sales girl he needed one.

I was up at the Mall of Georgia later that afternoon and walked by the Apple store. It was SLAMMED. Mostly people just standing around playing with the demo units. I'm sure they must have sold a bunch earlier in the day, but it was nowhere near as nuts as it was with the iPhone release. I'm betting most of that was because they didn't have to go through the long "AT&T activation" process with each customer. But that store, when the iPhone 3G came out, had lines out the store every day for 2 weeks....

So, I don't know. We'll see... First day sales are important, but long term sales momentum and constant uptake are more important. The big question will be what sales are like later this month when the 3G units hit. (I'm planning on a 64GB model). I was thinking of getting the next iPhone (I have a 3G) but I might not bother once I get the iPad...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Under the law, verbal contracts have little weight sadly.... not like the days a handshake was good enough....

Let us know of your experiences if you do return it...

That's not true. Verbal contracts are completely enforceable except for certain categories of contracts (real property, contracts that cannot be performed within a year, contracts for marriage, and any other statutory exceptions). The Uniform Commercial Code governs oral contracts involving the sale of goods.

Of course, the issue in any oral contract is proof...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
My whole first career was in retail. There is no value in what you believe to be the long term goal by essentially giving away 1.5 billion dollars.

They will be past the number of Kindles on the market within 6 months. Easy.

By the time they launch version 2 of the device they will have 500% more iPads on the market than Kindles. Regardless, Kindle is not the competition here. Kindle makes a book reader. It would be like saying that a Archos 2 MP3 Player was a competitor. The Kindle happens to compete in one small area of what the iPad does.

The iPad is the first device of its kind. There is no competition currently, and they have struck the right balance between price point and profitability. I am not sure you understand that the $499 pricepoint is likely losing money for Apple. For every $499 device they sell, they are probably losing between $1 and $100. So they already got hyper aggressive to build up the market. The Kindle DX is like $20 less than an iPad. Selling one device at $399 is simply impossible. It would not do anything. You might sell 7 million in the next year instead of 6 million, and then you will have yourself in a huge bind when you have to raise the prices of future generations because you sold your original product for $150 under cost.

That is the part you are missing. Apple already way undercut where everyone thought they would be. Other tablet makers freaked out when Apple announced a $499 price. They all thought for sure Apple would come in at $999 and that they could undercut apple and sell their product for $699 or $799. Now what are they going to do?

Here you.. and was just spinning a perfect world maybe. But there was a report here not long ago that Apple was prepared to drop prices on the iPad if needed.

There is also a cost in manufacturing in having two different products that are basically the same. Apple could have saved some costs by just having one version of the iPad - the 3G version IMO.

Just for me at the price point so far after spending a little time with the iPad at the Tysons Apple store yesterday - I was underwhelmed. I guess I went there hoping to feel the same way as I did when I went there to look at the first iPhone.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
So, I don't know. We'll see... First day sales are important, but long term sales momentum and constant uptake are more important. The big question will be what sales are like later this month when the 3G units hit. (I'm planning on a 64GB model). I was thinking of getting the next iPhone (I have a 3G) but I might not bother once I get the iPad...

I agree... my iPhone may go away if the hype lives up... I will take a cheaper phone and plan with Verizon maybe.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
That's not true. Verbal contracts are completely enforceable except for certain categories of contracts (real property, contracts that cannot be performed within a year, contracts for marriage, and any other statutory exceptions). The Uniform Commercial Code governs oral contracts involving the sale of goods.

Of course, the issue in any oral contract is proof...

Thanks for the info... would like a link on the sales of goods as it relates to verbal contracts... would be a good lesson for us all...

But as you said "proof" is the real issue.... always get it in writing :)

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
OK I give you some of that... but manufacturing costs of two distinct models has their costs. They could have done the one (the 3G model at maybe $550 for the 16GB) and reaped the revenues that ATT is giving them for the $15/30 a month) and maybe saved production costs for two different models...
What makes you say that? In fact I heard that Apple was subsidizing some of the cost for AT&T with the $130 higher price tag.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Thanks for the link... little confusing since it is not in "plain english" - I can see maybe how it applies...

I work for a family owned shop with a 14 day return privilege - but had a customer that might go two days beyond that. Normally that is not an issue, but they asked that I print on the receipt. We are flexible on our 14 day returns within reason... :)

Small stores are much more able to bend the rules IMO when it comes to it...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
What makes you say that? In fact I heard that Apple was subsidizing some of the cost for AT&T with the $130 higher price tag.

Never seen or heard that - Apple IMO does not give up $ easily IMO.

Maybe someone will be able to show us the true costs of adding GPS and 3G to the iPad - but I don't see it as being $130.... I may be wrong of course.

In fact I look at the extra $130 as being a subsidy to ATT....

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
Never seen or heard that - Apple IMO does not give up $ easily IMO.

Maybe someone will be able to show us the true costs of adding GPS and 3G to the iPad - but I don't see it as being $130.... I may be wrong of course.

In fact I look at the extra $130 as being a subsidy to ATT....

I was saying the same thing to a friend the other day... The cost of the extra parts for the 3G model is like $10 max... There's NO WAY it cost them, even with the Apple markup $130 extra... I'm betting a big chunk of that is going to AT&T in return for the more flexible and lower cost data plans through AT&T. AT&T gets some of the $$$ upfront rather than over the life of the unit.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
I agree... my iPhone may go away if the hype lives up... I will take a cheaper phone and plan with Verizon maybe.

verizon has no cheap plans

for two blackberries, 1 MiFi, 550 minute plan, my monthly cost is around $225. that's including insurance on the BB's, and two lines of 250 SMS.

if you want VZ Navigator, add another $10 per line

Verizon ain't cheap!!

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

for two blackberries, 1 MiFi, 550 minute plan, my monthly cost is around $225. that's including insurance on the BB's, and two lines of 250 SMS.

Verizon ain't cheap!!

True... AT&T and Verizon are the two "expensive" carriers in the US... Sprint and T-Mobile are the "value" carriers among the big 4

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I went to my local Best Buy a few minutes after they were open. Sold out. So I drove 30 minutes to another BB where they had plenty of each model in stock and was out in 10 minutes. The paper said that the first one I went to yesterday only had 25 units total, and there's no Apple store near that BB either! I think this product is a hit. Theres not many electronics that can sell out like this. You also have to take into consideration the fact that a lot of people pre-ordered online...

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
True... AT&T and Verizon are the two "expensive" carriers in the US... Sprint and T-Mobile are the "value" carriers among the big 4

yup--I was amazed at how cheap I could get a couple of smartphones and home phone service for, from T-Mobile. Almost made me switch. But then my practical side took over... :)

smchan

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
The iPad is the first device of its kind.

That's not completely true. I have a touch screen tablet in my desk at work that was made by IBM around 8-9 years ago. It has built-in email, contacts, soft keyboard, etc. It also has built-in wireless. The width, length and thickness of the device are very close to the iPad - but unlike the iPad, the IBM device also has audio in ports, a CF slot and a USB port. I have a micro-drive in the CF slot for booting alternate OSes, else the device would run on its firmware.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Verizon ain't cheap!!

Never looked at before I posted... may stay with ATT and drop the iPhone IF I go with the iPad....

Thanks - you forced me to look at their prices...

gostan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
West of Boston
As if I need to post this but not only was the OP a troll, but was lying

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20001953-64.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0
This is not exactly true. I was in BB in Worcester, MA last evening and there was a pile of Ipad's (at least 20) that were being held back by per order of the manager for availability for the BB April 12 flyer ad. Maybe these were newly shipped to BB, but I tend to doubt it, as they will likely receive their new allotment from Apple on Saturday April 11th.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
In regard to anecdotal evidence people present such as overhearing someone complaining about Flash... there are always anecdotes one way or the other... they're meaningless.

For instance when I walked into work this morning I overheard the security guards all talking about how great the iPad looked (not technological people). This doesn't mean I can extrapolate that the iPad is sure to be a success.

Stocking in stores can be odd. For instance, when I first bought my Nintendo DS I went to one store where there were crowds of people and people literally ran to the desks to buy them (all sold within a couple of minutes). Then I just walked to the nearest other shop and picked one up easily (no one was around).

I tend to believe 'official' figures rather than anecdotal evidence.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
As if I need to post this but not only was the OP a troll, but was lying

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20001953-64.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

Well he wasn't totally lying when he said BB in SD hadn't sold any @ 11:30, just the part where he claimed they had them in stock to sell :D:

"On Saturday, in the San Diego area, the launch of the iPad at an Apple Store and at a nearby Best Buy was a study in contrasts. At opening time, the Apple store was well stocked but the Best Buy store didn't receive delivery of iPads until later in the afternoon."

bobraynard

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Regardless,

Best Buy has sold out of the iPad at all 673 of its U.S. stores with Apple shops. In contrast, Apple stores are maintaining stock.

"We expect to have iPad inventory replenished at these locations by Sunday," said company spokeswoman Paula Baldwin.

Six Best Buy stores contacted in the San Diego and Los Angeles area said they sold out of the iPad on Saturday, the day iPad sales began. Ditto for Best Buy stores contacted on the East Coast; stores in suburban Philadelphia and Boston also sold out on Saturday. A New York store, however, said it had some stock until Tuesday but has no stock now.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The Best Buy here had 60 units in stock and sold out that morning.

I don't think BB is the best indicator for iPad adoption, I am sure Apple will throw out some numbers today during their 4.0 event.

Kcissem D

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Regardless,

Best Buy has sold out of the iPad at all 673 of its U.S. stores with Apple shops. In contrast, Apple stores are maintaining stock.

that wasn't true, 2 of the best buys in northern virginia still had stock up until atleast monday night, bought mine from one of them at that time, though they were sold out of the 16 gigs, had a few 32's but plenty of 64's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.