Zero Tolerance Policy for Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TenFour, Feb 3, 2008.

1. TenFour macrumors member

Are there any LCD display manufacturers that have a zero tolerance policy on dead pixels? Also, which manufacturers are the best/worst as far as dead pixels on their displays in the months and years after purchase? I need my gear to be reliable, and this is becoming my biggest concern in choosing a monitor for the Mac Pro... I'm giving serious thought to settling for a 19" LaCie Electron Blue CRT. Thoughts?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Nobody has a zero tolerance policy on dead pixels, it's a fact of 'life' in LCD production.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I have no idea why everybody gets so crazy about stuck pixels.

lcd's are very reliable, I have owned 7 in the last couple years all but two work because of a lightning strike and me dropping the other. and of the many devices i've used that have lcds all have been satisfactory.

Once you get past a certain pixel density, say most modern lcds, and the distance you sit away from them, your eyes cant distinguish unless you are looking for it.

and stuck pixels shouldn't just form. It either came that way or something bad happened to it. (like dropping it, my acd that i dropped still works but has solid blue green red lines all across it and spattered stuck pixels, i'd say 60% of the pixels still function)

4. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

there was a lot of talk about Samsung's zero dead pixel policy. Although, im not sure if its exactly what it's claimed to be. They do replace though for small amounts of dead pixels.

5. TenFour thread starter macrumors member

Somewhat reassuring. I take great care of my gear, so as long as an LCD is up to spec at the time of purchase, I shouldn't expect problems to arise?

6. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

I've had stuck pixels develop in my MBP. When I bought it, I powered it on in the store to make sure there were no dead or stuck pixels. After about 3 months of use, one stuck pixel popped up. Over the next few months, pixels around the original stuck pixel started getting stuck too, and I now have about 6 stuck pixels all connected in the shape of an "r". It hasn't gotten worse over the past 4 months or so, but I did take it into the Apple store. They made a note of it and said if it keeps getting worse, they'll do something about it.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

judging by the response "Steve" sent in regards to Apples pixel policy on ACD"s and other displays they currently use, its more a manufacturing thing than it is overall. so to be able to produce a huge quantity of displas without dead/stuck pixels..who knows..im not entirely the sure of the process but id imagine if they have one perfect display they could replicate the across the rest of that model/line?

but the cost to replace a deadpixel monitor especially at Zero Tolerance (a great concept) but idont know how well it would work overall, maybe not alot of people are buying the monitors or its the complete opposite.
    id love to exchange my 30" for a new one but it works fine, covered under apple care, holds a good resale value an dhas one stuck pixelunder solid red. otherwise unnoticable.

who knows you could go through 20 displays before you get one without a dead/stuck pixel.

i went through 3 iPod Touch's until i got one without a dead/stuck pixel. since they are easier to see all the time. on such a small screen, i thought its not too bad to complain for a return/exchang eon that.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Viewsonic (and I believe Samsung as already mentioned) has a Zero Tolerance for dead pixels.

Other manufacturers go with the ISO-standard where a certain percentage has to be dead and/or stuck before they are forced to replace the product.