ZFS does work on 10A432!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by newfoundglory, Aug 31, 2009.

1. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

In case this hasn't been posted already

I noticed today that someone (not me!) had uploaded the ZFS kernel extensions and libraries from 10a286 to a certain torrent site....

Copy these into your latest Snow Leopard... and wow.... it actually boots into 32- and 64-bit fine on my Early 2008 MBP!

This is just brilliant guys. Time to make external USB drives ZFS now...

Attached Files:

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'm gonna LOL when I see you come back later complaining about Snow Leopard screwing up on you.

3. newfoundglory thread starter macrumors 6502

ZFS worked okay in 10A286.

This is promising though.

Hopefully Apple might release support for ZFS in SL Server and we might be able to use those kext's instead.

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

ZFS has no benefits for things like thumb drives. ZFS support in SL is almost certainly experimental which means I would not use it for anything important.

The real benefit of ZFS are mechanisms like drive pooling, etc.

So, again, there's no benefit to formatting a thumb drive ZFS unless you are interested in creating a volume that almost noone else can read or write.

5. newfoundglory thread starter macrumors 6502

Its true that, unless you have any Solaris systems around its gonna be hard to read and write to your USB hard drives.

But, at least you'll know when you have a corrupt file. And you can guarantee you wont ever have a corrupt filesystem... although it would be amusing if your hard drives failed instead. Haha.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Remind me what the benefits are for ZFS that will benefit the consumer..?

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zfs

Most of this doesn't apply to the consumer. The biggest consumer advantage would be that ZFS is health 'aware' at all times, it automatically checks and fixes problems which should make the occurrence of volume, file or block corruption almost zero.

8. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

One attractive feature is that ZFS provides native filesystem support for all the fancy things that Time Machine currently lays on top of our familiar HFS+ filesystem drives. Presumably Apple is interested in ZFS as a potential back-end engine so that Time Machine can operate even more effectively and with the cooperation of the filesystem. Time Machine's current implementation is a bit of a technical kluge. It's also an attractive option to have as an alternative to Apple's current software RAID solutions.

If you're curious, it's worth reading what John Siracusa has written about ZFS over the years:

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I want (Apple supported) ZFS on my all my drives, including the boot drive. Until that happens, I am not interested.

S-