Zii Egg

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by puffnstuff, Sep 9, 2009.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I was waiting to see what to 3G would bring but that was a fail

Anybody know when the Zii Egg will be available for the public :confused:

2. buxtone17 macrumors regular

No clue.

But keep checking this site for updates.

I'm was thinking about getting a Zii, but the main reason I wanted a touch + camera was for the Apps. No clue what Creative will do for an App Store but I doubt it will have anything close to the number and quality of iPhone OS Apps.

3. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

Zii egg can come android though so it can use the apps in the android store.

4. mpb2000 macrumors regular

:eek: The hardware of that thing is amazing. It makes the iPod Touch look like a 3 year old device. Oh wait, it pretty much is. I hadn't heard about it until browsing the boards after today's frustration. It's been released to developers already ($400 for 32 GB). Wikipedia has it listed as a commercial release from Creative in fall 2009. That seems a bit soon, considering no one seems to know anything about its release. I also read somewhere that Creative may not even release it themselves, just let developers use the hardware to create their own devices. So, does anyone believe the fall 2009 release date? Or are we talking something like 6 months, a year, more?

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I've watched a few Zii Egg videos, and though they did make some strides in the hardware (go dedicated camera button and hi-res support!) the UI was full of suck.

I expect it to stay sucky as Creative themselves are selling it to companies as "we bring the hardware, Google brings the software, and you bring the branding and marketing."

I don't expect the Plaszma OS to be much better either.

6. mpb2000 macrumors regular

That's the problem: apple has the market cornered on UI. They can put out inferior hardware, but because of the UI on the device and the interface between the device and the computer, they can just sit on their laurels and not add much in terms of hardware. Come on, the only significant feature added to the ipod touch EVER was the external speaker. At the end of 2009, they add an FM radio to the nano only?!? And even if they had added a camera to the ipod touch, is that really that amazing? They would only be leveraging the camera they already have in the iphone. Sad.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Exactly to post above.

Apple is the master at software/hardware integration. They've done it with computers, cell phones, and media players.

8. supersean macrumors member

so you want the zii egg right well i hope you will ing to pay 400$ for it:D:apple:

9. jmelick07 macrumors member

Uh, this thing is awesome.. I'm sad I've never heard of this before. Personally I like android more than iphone os and I'd much prefer the hard plastic body of the buttery steel the ipod touch has. And if this thing has a gps reciever in it I don't see how one could even consider an ipod touch.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've got a Zii Egg. At this point it doesn't use android, and has no app to use GPS. It is as big as and heavier than an iPhone (fits perfectly in iphone cases). Updates are slow coming, and there is no promise of there ever being a retail version. $399 for the 32gb developer's model wasn't a bad deal when it first was available, but a fully functional 32gb Zune HD or iPod Touch is under $300 now.

11. jmelick07 macrumors member

assuming the zii egg comes out for consumers do you think its worth it for me to wait for it? I really like the size of it and how its hard plastic, HD camera is a major plus... but the best part for me is the GPS. Do you think this will come out sometime after xmas? I'm really interested in this