Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130326-issh.jpg

There's been an influx of SSH clients coming out for the iPhone, but the one many have been waiting for has just arrived. Zingersoft's iSSH [$4.99, App Store] client was released to the App Store last night.

iSSH is a VT100, VT102, VT220, ANSI, xterm, and xterm-color terminal emulator over SSH and provides the following features:

- Portrait and landscape mode
- 60x24 in portait mode, 80x24 in landscape mode
- Scroll-back buffer (by swiping in right 1/3rd of screen)
- Arrow keys (by swiping in left 2/3rd of screen).
- Ctrl, tab, shift, and Fn keys, all in combination.
- Store any number of connections and configurations
- Command execution on connection
- Can dismiss keyboard by tapping keyboard icon
- Via EDGE, WiFi or 3G

Due to the influx of SSH apps, the developer reports he temporarily cut some features to deliver this build earlier.
I created a build I considered stable, not feature-packed. That means no X Server or multiple connections. Neither are quite ready yet. Just the same, what Apple had submitted to them has exactly what you have seen in the screenshots. Landscape and portrait, a keyboard that's removable in landscape mode; scrollback via swiping; arrow keys via swipping; crtl, Fn, tab and shift (and combinations there-in) as well as a command on connection.
The developer promises that the 1.1 build was submitted last night and should include the following features:

- Key generation storage and exchange
- Additional keys in landscape mode, specifically "ESC" and "|"
- Multiple concurrent connections
- Active connection list
- Option to store password and server port
- Misc bug fixes

Unlike the other SSH clients, iSSH is also available internationally. iSSH is available in the App Store.

Article Link

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Its worth noting that TouchTerm now also supports terminal emulation with v1.1, and is cheaper than iSSH.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
This doesn't allow terminal access to the iPhone itself, does it? That is one thing I really miss from JB 1.1.4, a good old fashioned UNIX terminal program. The JB procedure for 2.0.1 is way too unreliable (that Pwnage app has never worked for me--all it ends up doing is necessitating a full restore to the most recent official FW) to be a workable solution right now, so that is not an option.

skestes

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
Dev says customs ports will be in the 1.1 version which he has submitted to the app store.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Right now you can't change the port in build 1.0, but as noted above you will in the next release.

I just bought it and tested it out, great terminal emulation and other various tools. Can't wait for the new features because without | key doing major stuff via the command line just sucks right now.

serich159

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2007
Brett3rThanU - The 1.1 update to Touch Term lets you set the port as well. No 22 for me either.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This doesn't allow terminal access to the iPhone itself, does it? That is one thing I really miss from JB 1.1.4, a good old fashioned UNIX terminal program. The JB procedure for 2.0.1 is way too unreliable (that Pwnage app has never worked for me--all it ends up doing is necessitating a full restore to the most recent official FW) to be a workable solution right now, so that is not an option.

No this is merely a client to allow people to connect to remote machines, great for admins who VPN into work and want to do ssh functions on a server.

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
I really do want to buy this but it is useless to me if it can only connect on port 22.

Also, does anyone know if this is a full-featured SSH implementation (port forwarding and SOCKS works?)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Also, does anyone know if this is a full-featured SSH implementation (port forwarding and SOCKS works?)
Given that iPhone apps can't work in the background, I don't believe either of those would be possible.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I wouldn't expect an ssh app to have X server support but wow, that would be cool to be able to launch X apps on to the iPhone's display.

Jig

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
Licensed by whom? There is no need to have a license to distribute an ssh client in the UK.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
This is the first SSH for the UK which is great. I wonder if they are licensed to do so.

Still useless for me, as I run my ssh on a different port than 22.

Yes he went through the export laws, and got approval. It is one reason for the price... He had to hire an attorney.

wolfenkraft

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I think there are export restrictions in the US, that is you cant export a product that uses that strong encryption which is why the other clients weren't available outside the US. I could be wrong. Licensed was the wrong word :)

Yeah, to get past the export restrictions, this one either has a) weaker encryption or b) made outside the US.

Definitely has export restrictions on encryption implementations.

canadacow

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I can assure you this is a full strength implementation of SSH. That's exactly it, really. Since it's a well-documented protocol based on well-documented encryption methods, there's nothing "new" or "secret" by having such encryption exported. For export from the US, the government simply requires classification of the product for legal distribution.

And sorry about the port 22 thing. A complete oversight on my part. Already fixed and in the pipeline for V1.1

mcnicks

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Looks promising. I am a black text on white background kind of guy, but I suspect that the white on black will be more readable under most conditions. Does anybody else find that the caps key behaves like caps lock? When I press it once, it stays on until I press it again - which caused all sorts of confusing when one of my servers did not accept my password :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.