Zinio, Cinco de Mayo Special: $5 Subscriptions for Your iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad.Rider, May 5, 2010.

1. Mad.Rider macrumors member

2. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

Zinio's text on the iPad is not crisp. It's slightly blurred.

3. epi117 macrumors 6502

I get, texas monthly, car and driver, and a few others, price
    is great, quality has not been an issue for me, maxim for 5 bucks is a steal.

4. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

5. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Magazine pages appear a bit smaller, which I think is why they can seem less crisp. However, you can easily zoom in on the part you're reading and scroll around a bit. It's very readable then.

6. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

I agree 100%. I just started using it for my 2 subscriptions and I must say, it's cool, but I'm also disappointed in the quality. It looks good until you actually zoom in on the text, then everything becomes blurry. I was reading one of my magazines for about 10 minutes and started getting a headache.

I'm considering switching back to print, but I'll see if there is any type of update in the next month or so before the new issues come out. If it wasn't for the blurry text, I would have purchased two more subscriptions yesterday.

7. steel magnolia macrumors regular

I have several subscriptions on Zinio and really enjoy them. I usually look at the page in portrait mode, see the photos, then hit the text button at the bottom of page to read the article, that brings up the text sharp and clear and even has a choice of small or larger text. If I want to see the pictures again then just tap page at bottom and look at pics, back to text with a tap. Hope this helps someone as I am not having any issues with blurry text or having to zoom in to see something.

8. bunger macrumors 6502

How did you switch your print subscriptions to digital?

9. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up Maxim at $5 for a year, which was cheaper than the single issue. Lol

10. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

I just called the publisher and asked them to switch. Just make sure that you use the same email address for both the magazine and your Zinio account. For example, one of my subscriptions is to Macworld magazine. I found this on their website.

It's the one under subscriptions that says "What if I am already a subscriber to the print version? Can I convert my subscription to the digital version?".

11. Lamplighter77 macrumors member

So once you called them and they said it was OK to switch it how did you go about getting that subscription into Zinio? Does the magazine's customer service have the ability to do that or am I missing something here about how Zinio works?

I was hoping to be able to transfer my Maxim and Playboy subscriptions and I figured the magazines wouldn't mind since it would save them money. I just figured I would have to buy them through Zinio for them to be accessible there.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Does the electronic subscription work for any device tied to your email account with zinio? ie: if I buy a subscription on my PC will I also be able to use it on my ipad? I'd love to have the choice to read the mag on my laptop or my ipad.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Nevermind just saw on the zinio page it includes PC/ipad/iphone, pretty sweet. The major advantage for me is not carrying around the magazines themselves.

14. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Also wanted to add in case anyone didn't know, when a new issue is added to your library, click on the mag and let it download, only takes about a minute or so, if you try to start reading before this then you will see slow and blurry pages and a longer rendering time. You only have to let it download once, after that it is ready whenever you want to read it.
    The first time I tried Zinio I wasn't doing it correctly and didn't like it at all but once I realized how it works I love it. Looking forward to more mags.

15. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

I replied to your PM, but I'll post the response here as well in case it helps someone else in the future.

It took me a little to figure out the whole thing at first too.

You'll want to check with the publisher and make sure they support Zinio as their digital distributor. Normally you can find that on their website. From what I understand, if the magazine is offered for purchase from Zinio, they are the digital provider.

I was able to call the publisher (Macworld) and tell them that I wanted to switch to digital. Once you do that, make sure they have the same email address that you used when you set up your Zinio account. That's how they get linked together.

Once that is done, the publisher will issue Zinio a subscriber file that links your subscription to your Zinio account. I haven't received my confirmation yet, but did talk to Zinio's customer service.

I was told I would get an email when the transition was complete. They also told me that it was possible that I would miss an issue because it could take up to 4 weeks for the transfer to be completed.

She told me that if that happens, to contact them and they would provide me with a digital copy of the missed issue until the transfer is completed.

16. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I had a bunch of free subscriptions through Zinio when they first started up, but that was back in my PC days. Great product then, so I expect them to be even better now.

I thought I saw this question earlier, but I wasn't clear on the answer. If I have a subscription on my iMac, and I load the iPad app, I should be able to have a copy on my iMac AND my iPad? Is that correct? If so, I am jumping back on the Zinio bandwagon tonight.

Oh yeah, another question. Does anyone know if the digital version comes out before the news stand or the home delivery copies? Is so, all the better. I always hate that I have a home subscription to a magazine and I see it on the news stand "weeks" before my home delivery copy shows up.

17. Sdevante macrumors 6502

That would be an affirmative!

18. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

If I read their website correctly, you can download the magazine on up to three different devices.

19. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for some type of sail. Just bought my first zinio subscription :)

20. iRabbit macrumors 6502

I've been using this feature too and love it... I can breeze through reading the article's text and then go back and look at all the photos.

You usually see the "text" button on the first page of an article. It makes the experience more like a book reader.

21. smotheredhope macrumors regular

Can I jump in here and ask a really stupid question? How do you find the 5.00 subscriptions? I have checked the website and I have downloaded the app and I dont see them. I must be looking in the wrong place

any help for my ignorance would be greatly appreciated :)

22. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

My offer came in an email after I registered. However, its now seis de Mayo so the offer is no longer valid.

Also, my email arrived about 45 minutes AFTER I purchased Car & Driver for $8. Didn't feel like arguing for the $3.

23. iserian macrumors 6502

Road and Track + Car and Driver ------ Both same publisher.

I called and was able to Transfer both to Zinio - (Phone number for R&T - same number for Car and Driver -850-682-7654)

Also you can call Zinio and they will provide you with phone numbers for your magazines.

I used Zinio back in the Tablet PC days and thought it was a good idea but the slate tablets at the time were a bit too heavy to hold like a magazine. Look forward to trying these out.

24. smotheredhope macrumors regular

fwiw I just got the Maxim and Spin for 5.00 each

25. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I got Car & Driver and PeeCee magazine :)

Oh, they had a $5 subscription to Nylon . . . whatever that is :confused: