Zinio looks awful on new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by batman75, Mar 16, 2012.

1. batman75 macrumors 6502

They haven't updated the software for the new iPad. The application screens look terrible. The magazines are not so bad, but still the text looks clunkier than in say safari.

Does anyone know when Zinio will update app and content or the new iPad?

2. SuperRob macrumors 6502

Zinio is basically just scans of printed magazines. The text is still pictures, so naturally, it'll look like crap. (Some publishers provide Zinio with a digital file, but they're still low-res printouts designed for screens.)

Zinio may update the app, but unless they go and rescan all of their content at higher dpi, or get the publishers to provide higher quality files, the magazines will still look awful.

3. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Wrong the text does scale as you zoom in. This wasn't the case in the early version, but it was added.

This is what makes zinio better than amazons magazines.

4. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

5. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Yeah, it's bad. SI Swimsuit issue also looks bad.

6. BigButa macrumors member

In all the magazines I've looked at, text looks great, but pictures are hit and miss (but most look great).

The Zinio menu fonts, however, need some serious work.

7. jameschho macrumors newbie

I noticed that some titles zoom and scale well (Macworld) and others are awful (car and driver) so I think it really depends on the publisher.

8. astrorider macrumors 6502

Their app mentions a version for the iPad Retina display is awaiting approval on the App Store.

9. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

All the magazine apps' content I have look like crap. Text is pixilated and so are the pictures. I thought the first thing Magazine Publishers would do, would be to resample the images and text for the iPads retina display.

I'm actually pissed right now, I have a few subscriptions I need to catch up on.

10. JimAtLaw macrumors 6502

The Wall Street Journal reader is the same way - they seem to be using text specifically selected for the iPad 1/2 screen rather than the native scaling and as a result, the menu text is smooth as silk but the article text is blocky, pixelated and fuzzy. Hopefully this will be fixed shortly, it's actually fairly noticeable - it makes the reader actually look worse on the iPad 3 than it did on the 2 I think.

11. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I had the same experience ad the OP. The nav icons were also out pf place, so I decided to delete and reinstall the application, and this fixed my UI problem. Other Zinio issues still apply still. I think though the magazines look fantastic. They're just too 'heavy'.

12. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm having problems with Zinio, too. After I redownloaded a magazine, each page came up a square of the page at a time. VERY annoying. I'll delete and redownload the app and see if that works. I hope it does.

13. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully the new retina Zinio app will be out soon.

The issue of the pages appearing in a sequence of 9 blocks is occurring on my iPad too. I wonder if that is because the. A5X processor isn't up to the job.

14. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Heh, definitely seeing the squares. Reminds me of a certain 2400 baud modem back in the day.

15. Brammy macrumors 65816

According to my contact at Zinio, they have an update in Apple's queue.

16. Marky macrumors regular

Interestingly, I see the squares too. In the main Zinio app as it loads particular magazine pages etc but if I use Zinio's separate stand alone app for MacFormat the problem isn't there at all, not even once.

So hopefully the coming software update will resolve this for the main app.

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Have some patience, eventually most apps will work on the new iPad. This is no surprise. If users were that concerned the best choice would have been to wait till the apps were ready. You can't always have what you want :)

18. richardmu macrumors 6502a

First thing I noticed was that the photos in National Geographic now paint in blocks. Hopefully that will be addressed with an app update soon.

Text looks good compared to my ipad 2 but very little to choose between the photos when side by side. That seems to apply to all photos I display on the new ipad. Rather disappointing update overall for me.

The ipad 2 was sleek whereas the new one feels much chunkier. Not exactly 'The Incredible Hulk' but getting that way.

19. Brammy macrumors 65816

From what I heard from Zinio, the blocking problem is gone with the new update. Until I try it out, I can't say for sure, but they are aware of it.

20. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes!

yes, the WSJ app at the moment is just poor. Very blotchy, of course it simply hasn't been updated. But, i'm surprised since the WSJ is one of the premier reading apps on the ipad, truly showing the power of the tablet device and what the platform CAN offer - and has been a big seller for WSJ, still the largest digital content seller by FAR. I'm just surprised they wouldn't have updated it prior to launch, like the NYTIMES did with THEIR ipad app, which looks great BTW.

21. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

22. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Yep, much improved! Much nicer on the new iPad...

23. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am still having the blocking effect.

24. Brammy macrumors 65816

Make sure you are running 2.2.2. An update was pushed out almost immediately after the first one went live.