Zinio Reader 4 PPC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ravenloft81, Jan 21, 2011.

1. ravenloft81 macrumors newbie

ravenloft81

Ok, so I've been scouring google to no avail. I have finally downloaded an issue from Zinio that requires version 4 of their reader. I'd tried the AIR based monstrosity before and decided not to use it since it offered nothing I couldn't do with v3.

That was on a G4 1.5ghz, but back when v4 first came along and AIR hadn't hit 2.x and went Intel only. This means, some version(s) of Zinio 4 existed that supported ppc, unfortunately ZiNio seems disinclined to have them available from their site, and all I can find otherwise are an hundred places to download 3.x.

Does anyone still have a copy of the pre-AIR 2.x version of Zinio Reader 4 BETA, or better a link to where it might still be found?

For those still trying to make sense of it based on info from Zinio: they haven't updated all the FAQs so some things just say a Mac running AIR 1.5.3. But if you try to install it AIR informs you that it requires a newer version of the platform and that said version isn't made for the hardware you're using.

And, no, I can't just buy a new Mac. if that were an option I wouldn't be asking this (sorry, but I've seen such "helpful" replies to similar kinds of posts too often).

2. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Darn, didn't know it was still around. Give up on it around 2004. Will have to look into what it still offers that isn't PDF, Kindle, Apple, Barnes & Noble, etc., formats.

3. toasted ICT macrumors newbie

Zinio 4 - Its easier to pick up a magazine from the newsagent.

While talking about reader 4 and the challenges presented by Zinio reader updates

I was using zino 4 BETA but my magazines dont end up stored in the right month but rather in other months (seemly random). I was advised by zinio that this is a bug in Zinio 4

I went back to using reader 3 - I had to download all my magazines again but I put up with that and all was well.

Now i find that I cannot get magazines (for which I have paid subscription) as they wont work with version 3 - I MUST install reader 4

Version 4 is BETA and still with bugs - so I uninstall V3 and install v4 and AGAIN I need to download all my magazines if I want the copies.

This is hopeless customer service i think.

Pretty disappointed but I guess I should not be surprised.... generally I do not think that getting paying customers to put up with unfinished BETA code in order to get any service is a great idea..... obviously Zinio thinks otherwise.

Its easier to pick up a magazine from the newsagent. What do you think? :)