Zip Disk Stuck in Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigtunes, Aug 28, 2007.

1. bigtunes macrumors newbie

I inserted a zip disk into my powermac g4....but it didnt show on the computer, and I have tried to eject it by holding down the mouse while restarting. I also went to the disk utility folder, but the disk didnt appear on there. What else can I do to remove the zip disk?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's been a long time since I've used a zip disk but... does it come with a paper clip slot?

Otherwise you might try restarting and hold the mouse button down during boot as that ejects stuck optical disks. Might work on zip disks too.

3. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Have you tried to unplug the computer from the wall. I have to do this when I have similar problem. Wait a five to ten seconds plug-in and boot computer, the ZIP should mount and be ejectable now.

4. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Yeah you can either use a Paper clip to remove the ZD then restart your "vintage" G4, or hard boot it when all fails!!
    First use the paper clip, it's safer on the system then restart. I have had many times to Hard boot in order to get my disks out in school!! sad to see that ZD are rarely in use now a days. I still use mine to archive most of my work!
    Good luck there bigtunes!!!

P.S.
    Just out curiosity bigtunes, what are your G4 specs. I ask cuz I have been seeing a lot of ppl here getting G4s. It amazes me how this system is still in use and very upgradeable while most PCs that came out the same time are completely obsolete!!

:apple:

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Apple tends to support older Macs with their operating system. Some people still use MacOS 10.2 or 10.3 on G3s [shudder].

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hopefully the drive is still getting power. Otherwise, you're going to need to remove it in order to use the emergency eject slot.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

10.3 and 10.4 are actually both pretty speedy on the G3s.

8. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

YEAH, I still use 10.3 on my G4 and it runs like a wet dream :):D;):rolleyes::p:cool:

:apple: