Zip file back to zip

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macornomac, Jul 13, 2008.

1. macornomac macrumors 6502

Hey guys I need some help. I just downloaded a file that was a zip file. It was automatcially unziped which I think I have my mac set to do once things are downloaed. I need that file to be acutally zipped. How do I go about zipping it back up?????

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Try searching for the original file in trash or right click (press and hold the trackpad button an a MB/P/A) and select "Compress <file name>". This will create a <filename>.zip

You might want to try Stuffit archive for archiving, excellent and cheap utility:D

3. macornomac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks so much now i have another question. How do I change the extension of the .zip file to .ipsw Thanks so much.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er... for changing extensions, select the file, press command+i or right click and get info. drop the 'Name and Extension' menu by clicking on it! It should be right after 'General' and 'More Info'. Change the extension as per req. When Mac OS asks for confirmation, confirm the action...

I dont have much idea about the ipsw archiving format but as a note changing the extension only changes the file association rather than changing the file itself!