Zip file size

Discussion in 'macOS' started by montycat, Oct 10, 2009.

1. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Is this all the compression I can expect to get from compressing an iPhoto folder?
    I searched old threads and it seems .JPEG files dont compress as well as other file types. Any advice other than splitting the file up? Shown is the Zip file and the original folder.

Attached Files:

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    JPEG is already a compressed format so zipping it will not compress it more.

So yes, that's the best you can get :)

Tex

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

JPEGs don't compress well because they're already compressed -- JPEG is a compressed picture format. For the same reason, when you put MPEG audio or video, or other compressed content in a zip or other archive file, they don't reduce in size much. Your camera squeezed most of the compression it could get out of the file when it first saved it as JPEG (instead of RAW or something like that).

If you want it to be much smaller, you'll probably need to make a lossy downconversion of the file, e.g. to a lower quality JPEG.

The other possibility is looking through and deleting any archived originals or edits that iPhoto made that you don't want/need anymore. There are some apps to do this, I believe.

4. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat

Thanks for the info. I was looking for an easy way for sending 20 gig of iPhoto files to iDisk.