Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frizzelfur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I've downloaded a program for my mac and its a zip file. Now i know you can open zip files on macs, but that only means seeing the encryption of it that opens in a text file. Is there any way to convert that file into a dmg so the mac can actually make sense of it (so i can use it), or any way at all to actually use the program?

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
i thought Macs opened (unpacked) zip files automatically.

What program opens with zip files?

regardless, there is a program that should help with them, and other formats you may come across in your travels.

Stuffit Expander

PS.

It's free.

miiles

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2008
California
Make sure you aren't downloading a .zip with a .exe inside, because if it unzips that it will open it in TextEdit and say something along the lines of "this program cannot be run in DOS mode" and then a whole bunch of random numbers and symbols.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
right click, or command (apple)+click the .zip file, and select "Get Info"

Check to see what program it opens with. If it says textedit, it is incorrect. Search to see if BOMArchiveHelper.app shows up.

That is the program my mac (OS X 10.4.11) opens zip files with, out of the box. Somehow, the file's default program was switched to text edit.

If you find it, select "change all" to make all .zip files open with that program.

zipfileprogrammac.png

frizzelfur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
It does have a .exe inside, and it does what you describe, where the numbers and codes come up. IS there any way to change that?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If it has an .exe file, you would need access to a PC to first get rid of the .exe since a Mac can't do anything with a .exe, unless you're on an Intel mac and have a version of windows running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.