Ziphone 2.0 and anysim

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kabutosan, Feb 14, 2008.

1. kabutosan macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    just a question...

If I unlock my iphone with ziphone 2.0... I need to use anysim anymore??

TKS.
    Kabu

2. munroe macrumors regular

3. kabutosan thread starter macrumors newbie

this is a great news!!! so, to use all iphone functionality i only need to run the ziphone 2.0?!?!

This is amazing...

kabu

4. munroe macrumors regular

That's correct.

If your bootloader is v3.9, then you need ZiPhone v2.0.

If you have a v4.6 bootloader you might wish to use ZiPhone v1.0 or 1.1 to preserve future upgrade capabilities.

See this thread for all the gory details:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=433827

5. kabutosan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the link...

But another annoying question.., I bought a brand-new 16GB iphone... can I check the bootloader version before activation?

I know, I'm really newbie... I'll read more about it... :)

thx.
    kabu

6. Sergeij2000 macrumors newbie

All 16G phones come with BL4.6! You can use ZiPhone 2.0 with all types of bootloader. For your 16G with BL4.6 or any other phone with BL3.9 use ZiPhone -j -a -u -v. Use the -v (verbose) option, because it seems to cure the apple logo problem.

Your BL4.6 phone will be jailbreaked, activated and unlocked - but with downgraded modem fw 04.02.13_G (there is no unlock available yet for BL4.6 and modem fw 04.03.13_G)! As a consequence locate-me in Maps.app won't work. As a workaround you can install LocateMe from the installer and run it once _EACH_ time your phone has been rebooted.

A full unlock with modem firmware 04.03.13_G is only possible, if the bootloader of your phone is version 3.9. ZiPhone -u -v is downgrading the bootloader and unlocking modem fw 04.03.12_G. I did it with a brandnew 16G iPhone and it was working like charme.

Bottomline: ZiPhone 2.0 can do a jailbreak, activation and unlock for BL3.9 and BL4.6.

cu/

Sergeij

7. munroe macrumors regular

8. kabutosan thread starter macrumors newbie

If I've the bootloader BL4.6... Can I downgrade the bootloader to ver. 3.9 after the unlock procedure? Or, I'll do it before?

kabu

9. munroe macrumors regular

ZiPhone v2.0 will downgrade your bootloader in the process of unlocking. However this may not be reversable, which is why I have linked the relevant post for your own consideration - you might want to reverse it in the future.

ZiPhone v1.0 & v1.1 unlock your phone without downgrading the bootloader. The only drawback is that the Maps locate me function doesn't work without a workaround (running Navizon each time you reboot the phone, for example).

I recommend the later, but that's just me.

10. Sergeij2000 macrumors newbie

Yes, you can unlock on BL4.6 and stay with the result - or you can downgrade to BL3.9 and unlock. It's your decision. But everything can be done by ZiPhone 2.0. If you're not sure what to do, just ziphone -j -a -u -v. This will jailbreak-activate-unlock your phone but you'll keep BL4.6.

cu/

Sergeij

11. munroe macrumors regular

That's right. You have to use the -b option to force the bootloader downgrade. Sorry for the misinformation.

Do as Sergeij says!

12. Sergeij2000 macrumors newbie

You don't need ZiPhone 1.x anymore! ZiPhone 2.0 can do all the things the previous versions did _PLUS_ downgrading the BL and unlocking the bb with fw version 04.03.13_G:

1) ZiPhone -j -a -u -v keeps the current BL (either 3.9 or 4.6) and jailbreaks-activates-unlocks the iPhone - but the modem fw will be 04.02.13_G after this process if BL4.6 is on the phone.

2) ZiPhone -j -a -b -v Jailbreaks-activates and downgrades BL4.6 to BL3.9, upgrades the modem fw to 04.03.13_G and unlocks the baseband.

People who are not sure what they want - and who want to stay on BL4.6 should use 1). People, who want the full functionality of 1.1.3 should use 2).

cu/

Sergeij

13. kabutosan thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks to all guys! I'll try the second option as soon as possible.

Kabu

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Just a quick question - I don't get it.

Just hook your iPhone to a windows machine and run this program and, boom, everything is done?

15. munroe macrumors regular

16. annivas macrumors newbie

Hi, I have succesfuly activated, jailbroke and unlocked my 1.1.2 OTB. I had updated its firmware to 1.1.3 before I did that. The bootloader is 4.6.

Right now, I am the happy owner of a 1.1.3 iPhone with 04.02.13_G modem firmware.

I would be even happier though if I some things would act as they should, ie. the Locate Me button in the Maps app. I even tried to install the LocateMe app but it crashes upon launch.

I am not too sure if there are other things that don't act as they should, YouTube seems to work just fine

17. Sergeij2000 macrumors newbie

LocateMe needs the BSD subsystem installed! It is located in Category System...

cu/

Sergeij

18. annivas macrumors newbie

Thank you! It does work... although, according to LocateMe, I am on a boat!! LOL!! :D

19. annivas macrumors newbie

EDGE Menu missing?

I discovered another problem that might(?) have aroused by the ZiPhone procedure... EDGE menu is missing in the Settings-General-Network pane.

I have already examined the carrier.plist file and it seems to be correct. Any other ideas on how can I get it back and working?