ZiPhone errors when jailbreaking "BSD root...."

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by imborden, Feb 14, 2008.

1. imborden macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to jailbreak using any version of ziphone, i always get this error:

"BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0"

anyone else had this problem and been abel to fix it?

2. werepeople2 macrumors newbie

no how you feel

i had the same problem man, it wont fix it just wont tell me if you figure out how to fix it though... man it sucks

3. 619 macrumors member

Follow this:

1. Hold Power and Home buttons until iPod Turns off.
    2. Unplug iPod, hold the home button and then reconnect it.
    3. Wait for it to be in recovery mode and then restore.

:)

4. ricardo1064 macrumors member

5. cdr74 macrumors newbie

i've had the same problem, and that link didn't solve anything. iTouch just not responds when i hold power+home

damn

6. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Have I missed something or is it still iPhone only?

7. supermeerkat macrumors newbie

That happened to me as well. Much panicking resulted.

I managed to restore it though.

1. Held power button and home button down until it turned off
    2. Pressed power button again to turn it back on, then just held down home button down. The familiar itunes/lead icon appeared, and Windows reported it was in repair mode.
    3. Had to repeat 1 and 2 several times, and restart iTunes but eventually it allowed me to restore.

Phew!:cool:

8. cdr74 macrumors newbie

several vids showed people doing this jailbreak without problems. But after a bit of research over the net, i've seen that it ONLY works on 8GB iTouch's.

Anyway, I also managed to restore it. First of all, reboot the PC. After, press Home+Off (after 10secs, it turns off; after 5 more secs, it shows the apple logo and finally turns ¿really? off). Then, press Home and connect to the PC, restore, etc.

P.S: Is there any chance to have damaged the iTouch in any way? I'm still a little bit worried after seeing how my 400-****ing-$ gadget loops in "bsd root:md0 ..."

9. frikkyco macrumors member

I've got a 16gb IPT and paid for the January apps from Apple. I got stuck in the revolving BSD crap forever and finally had to use iBrickr to free my IPT from eternal recovery mode. Has anyone found out if ZiPhone only works if you don't have the January apps? If so, any way to stop iTunes from putting them on my IPT so I can use ZiPhone? Or, like a previous poster said, is it only good on 8gb IPT's? But that sounds strange to me. Thanks!

10. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Ahh OK. I've only ever seen it documented as iPhone only so my bad ;)

11. iamgerbs macrumors newbie

INstructions

This happened to me also. iTunes must be open while you do this! I can not stress that enough. I fixed it by:

1) While the iPod is stuck in a loop and plugged into the computer press and hold the home and sleep buttons until the screen turns black.
    2) When the screen turns of, keep holding the home button until it shows up (this may take around a minute to show up)
    3) The iPod will show up in itunes and a restore will fix it.

12. ricardo1064 macrumors member

it's not easy and you have to be patient when holding the home and top buttons down, but it works 100%. I was flipping out myself when it happened to me, but little patience and I got it to work.

I worked so well that I "broke" my itouch again just to write the tutorial.

13. ricardo1064 macrumors member

it's not just 8 gig itouch/iphones anymore... looks like it's a bug. Maybe something that is active on some and not on others. Should be interesting to see what's causing it.

14. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Taking one for the team I like to see ;)

15. ricardo1064 macrumors member

ty

16. armageddon101 macrumors newbie

HELP - still doesn't work

i get the same problem with "BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0"

so i did everything u guyz suggested.
    i hooked up my iTouch with the USB and it goes directly to the boot mode and loops that same message over and over.

so i held down the home and power button and it does turn off.
    and then i hold down the home button for that entire minute and it doesn't turn on or anything. and then if i hold down the power button it just returns to the boot mode relaying the BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0 over and over.

my iTouch won't return to restore ------------- HELP!!!!

17. hmstgermain macrumors newbie

Help!

i am having the same problems as above. im trying everything but nothing seems to be working on my iphone. HELP!

18. high Fetch macrumors newbie

Fix

I have a brand new version 2 and it does not work does any one have reel fix for this or what is going on with this thing. I let mine go all night and it just stopped eventually. Tried 6 times in version 2 1.1.3 and version 1 1.1.2 and no fixes does any one who any thing:apple:

19. ricardo1064 macrumors member

when the itouch is off and you hit both the home and top buttons what exactly happens? I had some instances where it would not do anything while holding the button down. But if I quickly released and pressed them both again I would get the restore mode. Give it a try, if not, I will post a video.

yes i know what you're thinking, you followed a video and look at where it's gotten you. but i know it works.

20. hmstgermain macrumors newbie

question

do u do the same thing for the iphone as you do with the ipod touch? it just keeps looping over and over. it also wont connect with my computer thru the usb cable? what do i do?

21. armageddon101 macrumors newbie

ughhh:

when i touch both buttons while it is on: it WILL TURN OFF.
    then i wait a while, disconnect the cable, and try turning it on again.

i hold down both buttons, but nothing happens. i tried what u said, and nothing happened still. for some reason, the iTouch only powers on when i press down the power button by itself, even when i do hold down the home key.

if i hold both down, NOTHING HAPPENS.

thx i'd appreciate the video.

22. ricardo1064 macrumors member

Let me try and get this in tonight for you buddy.

23. waan78 macrumors newbie

Fixed the Same Issue

I had the same problem and I followed 619's advice, worked great. Thanks.