Ziphone question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HeyKenny, May 10, 2008.

1. HeyKenny macrumors newbie

I used Ziphone to jailbreak my day 1 8GB iPhone running 1.1.4. I didn't unlock it as I already had an ATT account. I didn't have to downgrade anything and haven't really had any problems at all since jailbreaking. The occasional crash/weirdness, but nothing really of concern.

However, I've been reading numerous posts about how Ziphone can be dangerous and I'm wondering if I should restore my phone and re-jailbreak using something else before I have any problems. I don't want to end up with a dead phone! When I jailbroke (jailbreaked) this shortly after the 1.1.4 update, Ziphone seemed to be the way to go. Not so much anymore.

Anyone else in the same situation?
    Any suggestions and/or help would be most appreciated!!
    thanks!

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Dude, for just jailbreaking it makes no difference what program you use.

The only dangers associated with ZiPhone are in the unlock.

Doobs

3. mayassa macrumors regular

it was suppose to over-right the boot-logger and now there is a program to fix that if you want. So don't sweat it enjoy your phone.

4. HeyKenny thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Forkaster macrumors member

If its working well, don't go through the trouble.

6. fendushi macrumors newbie

Ditto... why go through that trouble? Wait till there's a new firmware and a new version of an unlocker that can unlock it. ;)

7. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Totally disagree.

ZiPhone was NEVER the way to go. People just assumed it was safe because they didn't research it.

Over the last few days there have been several threads where peoples phones have been broken by ZiPhone.

Don't risk it- use iliberty.

FYI- ZiPhone messes up more than the bootloader (which as was pointed out is now reversible) it can actually BREAK your phone beyond repair.

Considering iPhones are now not available anymore if you break your phone and you can't get a replacement you can be sure the 3G phone will not be hackable for a few months at least like with the original phone.

8. doobi18 macrumors 6502

DO YOU PEOPLE READ?

The guy only wants to jailbreak - not unlock ... the bootloader IS NOT TOUCHED!

So all jailbrak-related probelems are SOFTWARE and can be nullified witha restore!

9. brando88 macrumors 6502

He may just be jailbreaking but it IS still a better idea to go with iLiberty+..., the exploit is cleaner, and ziphone is fail anyway... :p

Also, although it is true that most jailbreaking issues can be solved with a simple iTunes restore, in some cases it does require more to fix the issue. It is true, however, that you would have to be trying pretty hard to actually brick your phone beyond repair.

10. doobi18 macrumors 6502

i wont disagree with that, i personally use iLibertyX, but for those just jailbreaking and want to use ZiPhone, I let them go ahead

11. vostok macrumors newbie

vostok

12. vostok macrumors newbie

vostok

I 'll probably get my new iPhone in a week or two from US.(I live in Europe , Slovakia) iPhone is not launched here (rumors say that the 3G iPhone will be launched maybe Q1 of 2009) so when i get it what do u suggest ... how to unlock , activate the phone?:eek:

Peace