Zipping up a folder/files ????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bonesone4, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

How do you go about zipping up a folder or number of files?

I've tried a few different things and have successfully zipped up some documents but their file sizes dont seem to get any smaller. Shouldnt zipping compress the size of the document(s) ???

Bones

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

zipping compresses everything contained in the zip file until you re-extract them, thusly returning to their pre-zipped state.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Depends on what you are zipping on how much compression is possible. Generally the only thing that is incompressible is video files (outside of the encoding game). But basically select the files you want, right click and select archive.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What does that have to do with his question?

As far as I know you can change the compression via terminal. I think there may be some front ends for them as well.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you select a number of files and then right-click and choose "Archive" (in Tiger) or "Compress" (in Leopard) it will ZIP them.

Keep in mind that things that are already compressed (like JPG images, or MP3/AAC audio, or most video files) will not compress very much (if at all) by being ZIPped.

6. Quint macrumors member

Some file types are already as small as they can get. Many jpegs and pdfs won't get noticeably smaller by zipping. If you really need to reduce size, you can either optimize the individual files in the applications that created them, or buy an application like Stuffit, that uses different compression schemes that they say can reduce files that zipping can't.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Some things are saved in a compressed state. As a result, Zipping them together just makes a single file to deal with when moving them around. Audio files are notorious for not getting any smaller when you zip them. To see any difference, when you zip up files your files must be larger than 4KB anyway, as 4KB is the smallest a file can be on a computer (due to cluster size).

TEG

8. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I always thought things would generally get much smaller. I wanted to share an album I had in iTunes and just send it via iChat through our chat window. I figured zipping it would make things smaller and easier to deal with.

Bones

9. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

because it sounds like he was zipping things but expecting the original file size to change?

reading comprehension?

10. Quint macrumors member

I think that you will find it is 4 bytes (which would show up in Finder as 1KB.)

Attached Files:

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Don't forget picture files. Generally speaking, the most common picture formats .(jpg) are already compressed.

Compressing already compressed files (such as jpegs) will end up with no reduction in size, or in some cases an increase in size!