Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2001
I went to an apple store recently to llok at the 12in Powerbook. while there, i wandered over to the new ibooks (800&900). All i have to say is WOW! these things are seemingly twice as fast as the previous generation. So surprised, i played more, and found that the speed really kept on coming. Now i am certainly going with the iBook instead. How does that sound? any new iBook owners care to comment on their day to day use, and whether the speed increase i noticed is for real, or just a mirage? i would mostly be using it for word processing, internet, and occasional video.

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
If you don't need a DVD burner on the go, and don't need AirPort or Bluetooth, the 900MHz iBook w/Combo Drive and a 60GB hard drive is $1349, and you'll spend a little more to get 512MB of aftermarket memory to bring it up to 640MB.

A 867MHz PB w/Combo Drive and a 60GB hard drive is $1849, or $500 more. If you want to go beyond 256MB, you'll have to pull out 128MB to install a 512MB to bring it up to 640MB.

The PB processor is a little slower (than 900MHz) and it only has 256K Level 2 cache compared to the iBook's 512K, but its memory and bus are 133MHz DDR, vs 100MHz single-channel on the iBook. Neither have Level 3 cache. Both have consumer grade video with 32MB of video memory. The PB has an audio in that the iBook doesn't.

They should be pretty much a wash when it comes to performance, except on Altivec optimized programs, where the PB will just plain rule!

The question is, what is going to happen with software? Will we see new Altivec optimized versions the G3 iBook can't run? Hard to tell now, but $500 is a lot to spend to cover your bases for the future.

maracz

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
I have a new iBook G3 800 MHZ/128 Ram and honestly is is faster (very noticeably, especially in games) than my old G4 700 MHZ/128 Ram eMac. In fact I am well pleased with the speed. A 900 MHZ would certainly be a very pleasant thing indeed. By all means, if you want it go for it.

I plan on using my computer for at least 2 1/2 years,. The only thing I dread is a near-future new G3 redesigned iBook. Not because I need one, but because I HATE knowing that there is something much ncier out there for the same price or less. Or that I have a old generation anything. But that's just me. You should be fine.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
I was playing with iBook 900 128MB in Apple store (Palisades) today... xbench score was 59+ while my ex-girlfriends 800 640MB scores about 52+

I think it is time for me to buy one...

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i get 49 on my original 2001 500Mhz.

i have modded it somewhat. 640mb ram, overclocked to 650/100, put in a 40gb HD and an OEM combo drive.

i look at the posted xbench scores on the website and it just makes me scoff, the performance increase has been minimal in 2 years. the only thing i am missing is decent video, i have no Quartz performance at all which sucks.... =P but you deal, right?!

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
In similar fashion I was installing some software on my teachers 700mhz ibook and came away impressed at the speed compared to my 800mhz LCD imac. I did notice a slowdown when editing text fields but in general use it still felt faster than my machine. Make no mistake his machine was kitted out with a lot of development software so it wasn't a fresh install.

Given the fact current software programmers under-utilize altiVec why would anyone really want a G4? well except for Apple software and OS X 10.3 maybe...

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
making do with a overclocked 500... i hear that. is your method permanent, or does it have to be re-done after every reboot? Do you have a link? My roommate has a 500 DVD and wants more from it. Thanks.

G3 vs G4 is a bit of a mess. the G4 is over-hyped, that is for sure. it's slow release cycle has put a strangle hold on the G3 release cycle. 1GHz G3's have been produced for what, 6 mo now? :mad:

tompatros

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
Some iBook Questions:

I'm kind of on the fence for a new laptop. The 900 iBook sounds like a great machine for the price. A few questions though:

1. Anyone tried running VirtualPC on an iBook? If so, how'd it go?

2. Do the latest iBooks allow you to run an external monitor at a resolution greater than 1024x768?

3. I do a lot of webwork (design + programming) - can anyone comment on iBook performance in apps like Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc?

I think that'll do it for now - thanks in advance for any responses.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Re: Some iBook Questions:

Originally posted by tompatros
I'm kind of on the fence for a new laptop. The 900 iBook sounds like a great machine for the price. A few questions though:

1. Anyone tried running VirtualPC on an iBook? If so, how'd it go?

2. Do the latest iBooks allow you to run an external monitor at a resolution greater than 1024x768?

3. I do a lot of webwork (design + programming) - can anyone comment on iBook performance in apps like Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc?

I think that'll do it for now - thanks in advance for any responses.

tompatros , I have been on this quest for quite some time now...

1. VPC was OKAY on an iBook 900 running 640MB of ram with 256 dedicated to the VPC, you can't expect VPC to run like a PC but it was not unbearably slow.

2. You cannot run an external monitor off the iBook's mini VGA port. You can mirror a VGA monitor tho but only at 1024x768 (one of my pet peeves).

3. I used Dreamweaver and Photoshop and Flash on it, it was NOT bad but the Photoshop was a lil slower than my PB G4 667, but not much (mind you i wasnt doing anything too wild just web graphics)

For the money get the iBook, max out the RAM and u'll be happy.

MacboyX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.