ZNAPS for mag-safe like connection on USB-C

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by headcase, Jul 21, 2015.

1. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

3. facrat macrumors member

Looks like an over-engineered "solution" to me: bulky and awkward, sticking out from both the socket and plug, for Lightning at least hardly makes a difference in convenience. Personally can't see the value proposition at all.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I will be very surprised if this ever actually ships a product. Apple is very protective of their mag-safe patent, and this is pretty clearly in violation. Smells like a scam to me.

5. headcase, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

headcase thread starter macrumors 6502

headcase

Read through their FAQ and materials, as they address this concern. They state that their patent lawyer did a patent search before the project commenced, and the current Apple patent pertains to cable design, which ZNAPS purposely avoided designing.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about whether this will have any impact on data throughput or other connectivity beyond power... especially for USB-C, if they end up designing one.

6. headcase thread starter macrumors 6502

headcase

Only a few days into the campaign, and they're already approaching $1M in pledges. Personally, I'd say this project has legs, and I think it makes sense.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I know they say that, but those are just words that help generate an awful lot of income with no real obligation to do anything with it. Again, 'funding' this campaign is not placing an 'order'. There is absolutely no guarantee that this will ever get off the ground, and given how aggressively Apple has pursued other accessories in the past, I would not hold my breath on ever seeing a shipping product here.

8. headcase thread starter macrumors 6502

headcase

9. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I'd say more Kickstarter campaigns don't deliver or are incredibly delayed than arrive on time. I'd wait until they actually come out with something.

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Frankly, I don't think this is the best use of MagSafe. Considering Apple essentially decided they didn't even need to include a port at all except it was the most efficient way to charge it, the main way to use MagSafe is for charging it. So data throughput is not really a consideration.

Indeed, if you did want to plug a peripheral into the USC-C port, I can see doing it on the desktop, and daisy chaining the power out of your dock. That way if anybody trips over your cable, it doesn't snap off your data mid-transfer. Besides, people are rarely ever going to run a long cable from their MacBook to a peripheral that puts the Mac in danger, and again you wouldn't want that cable popped off during a data transmission. MagSafe was designed for power, and that's where it should stay. There are no MagSafe data ports now, and I don't see any reason to monkey with it now. If Apple had thought this was a good idea, I'm thinking they would have been the first to introduce it. What Apple is counting on here is that most people only plug their Macs into power. And MagSafe makes that incredibly easy.

11. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

This looks great, I don't care about data, I'll be using this for charging only.

I've been following kickstarter for a few years and this is the first product I actually pledge on, good post thanks!

12. headcase thread starter macrumors 6502

headcase

But here's the rub: MagSafe was for power connections only, and going forward, USB-C is an all-in-one solution... so to say that the past = the future for how & when to design break-away cable /port solutions doesn't make sense to me.