Zombie Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brianus, Apr 20, 2007.

1. brianus macrumors 6502

Has anyone here ever had an unresponsive application continue to show as active in the Dock and the "Force Quit" window even after it has been definitely and finally quit? I'm not just talking about Force Quit failing to work here -- I mean it worked, the app doesn't show up in ps or lsof or ActivityMonitor (under "All Processes"), yet Dock still thinks it's there.

This has happened to me a few times with Toast and DiskUtility on another computer, and now it's happened on my Mac mini with the latest version of Mactracker (which, btw, I would not advise anyone to download!). Whatever reason Mactracker is hanging and having to be forced to quit, I find the fact that Dock/Finder can think a program is running when it isn't to be extremely annoying.

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

No, but try logging out of your site and logging back in or restarting the computer.

3. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

yeah, sometimes this happens to me. this might sound completely off the wall, but if possible, try to duplicate the problem with different ram installed.

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Be careful, those zombie apps might eat your brains. :eek:

Actually, that happens to me occasionally. Usually with apps that use Rosetta.