Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summerof2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
I chose "all tasks shutdown" and started Ice Clean 3.1.2 on 6/24/11 at about 11am. It is now 06/25/11 at 5pm and Ice Clean has, apparently, not completed the tasks and shutdown my MacBook Leopard 10.5.7. So IceClean has still not stopped running over 30 hours later. The circle in the lower right corner of the IceClean interface window is still moving around.

The only thing I did differently compared to previous times, when I have run this version of Ice Clean without this problem, is I forgot to dismount and disconnect my USB external 1 TB Iomega drive. In fact, I usually disconnect all USB peripherals when I run IceClean. I think the Iomega drive has about 700 GB of information on it including at least 2 separate full backups(clones) of my MacBook's internal boot drive. I have never before run IceClean without first dismounting and disconnecting any external USB drives and I have never run disk repair or verification on any of my external USB drives.

Activity monitor does not say IceClean is "not responding" and, when I INSPECT IceClean statistics with Activity monitor, the 3 mach numbers, the unix number, and context switches number are constantly changing(increasing). The %CPU is also changing constantly and it has ranged between about .92 and 1.60.

When I right click the IceClean icon in the Dock it says "Application Not Responding". And when I click on the IceClean interface the toolbar/menu bar does not switch to IceClean; although, I can drag the IceClean interface window around the monitor screen. I am not sure, however, if the developer intentionally configured IceClean to be unresponsive in the dock and interface, while it is still running, in order to prevent users from shutting IceClean down while it is running, which the developer states can be "seriously dangerous for your system".

I have not force quit IceClean because the IceClean interface and the developer's website says "Don't force IceClean to quit: that could be seriously dangerous for your System." Should I force quit IceClean?

Many hours ago IceClean INSPECT in Activity Monitor did indicate 1 recent hang, but now it says 0 recent hangs.

I do not know what to do. I do not understand what IceClean 3.1.2 is doing. Is it "not responding" or is it still working normally? Is it trying to do work on the 1 TB Iomega drive that I forgot to dismount and disconnect before running IceClean? Should I dismount and disconnect the 1 TB Iomega drive now in order to get IceClean to stop running?

Temperature Monitor App shows my MacBook's CPU A temperature at 60 degrees C with 4 Firefox 5 windows and multiple tabs open.

I usually stop using my MacBook while IceClean or Disk Repair is running, but when IceClean had not stopped running 8 hours later, yesterday, I felt I had no choice, but to start using my MacBook while IceClean is running. In fact, I have connected to the Internet with my MacBook in order to send you this email message.

The IceClean developer website is http://www.macdentro.com/MacDentro/Home.html and I have sent an email to the support address at that website. There does not seem to be a user support forum on the macdentro.com website.

I have searched on the Internet for instances where other IceClean users have had the same problem I am now experiencing, but I have not been able to find any.

------
Purpose Of This Thread
I am seeking a reply from someone who clearly understands the technical aspects of how IceClean works and who can, therefore, tell me what steps to take to determine what exactly IceClean is doing, if anything, to my MacBook system right now, who can tell me how to determine if IceClean is "hung" and "not responding", and who can tell me what actions I can take, if any, to safely force quit IceClean.

This thread was started as a means to seek a reply from someone who expertly understands the technical aspects of how IceClean works and who will, therefore, answer certain questions the thread starter has with regard to the application.

If that is you, then, please reply. If that is not you, or you do not use IceClean, you do not want to use IceClean, or you feel IceClean should not be used, then, I ask that you not reply, because your input is unlikely to be compatible with this thread's purpose.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You don't need "cleaner" or "optimization" apps such as this to keep your Mac running well. As you can see, many of them do more harm than good. My best recommendation? Restart your Mac and uninstall Ice Clean.

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

summerof2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Please Do Not Do That

You don't need "cleaner" or "optimization" apps such as this to keep your Mac running well.

Please do not do that.

I have, actually, used IceClean since I first got a Mac. This is the first time I have encountered this problem and, as I explained, it is also the first time I have forgotten to disconnect any peripheral USB devices, especially drives, before running IceClean 3.1.2.

As you can see, many of them do more harm than good.

No, I can not see. You have made an extremely generalized statement(stereotype) that I doubt applies as broadly as it appears, to me, you have applied it.

I am certainly not trying to defend IceClean, because I am rather annoyed with this problem. But, for all I know, it may not be a problem at all. IceClean may simply be "working on" the 1 TB USB harddrive I forgot to disconnect before running IceClean.

My intention, when I started this thread, was not to find someone who will chastise me for my own personal choices. My intention was, simply, to thoroughly describe the problem I have encountered and get an answer as to how to resolve that problem, from someone who knows how to resolve it.

In other words, I am hoping for a reply from someone who clearly understands the technical aspects of how IceClean works and who can, therefore, tell me what steps to take to determine what exactly IceClean is doing, if anything, to my MacBook system right now, who can tell me how to determine if IceClean is "hung" and "not responding", and who can tell me what actions I can take, if any, to safely force quit IceClean.

I know there must be experts who read this forum that can tell me the aforementioned.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
GGJstudios is correct there is little need for these apps. In fact I've never used one and my Mac runs as fast today as the first day. I can't say the same for a windows computer that needs its OS reloaded just because the registry is so bogged down and there's a ton of cruft left over.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You have made an extremely generalized statement(stereotype) that I doubt applies as broadly as it appears, to me, you have applied it.
My statement is based on the many reports of problems with apps like this over the years. It isn't based solely on Ice Clean. For example, another app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

My statement is also accurate, in that you don't need any such apps to keep Mac OS X performing properly.
My intention, when I started this thread, was not to find someone who will chastise me for my own personal choices.
I didn't chastise you. I offered a recommendation for your benefit, based on years of reports by countless users. If you want to keep Ice Clean, that's up to you. If you ask for advice in an open forum and someone takes the time to respond and try to help, it's not the best approach to attack their response, even if you elect not to follow their advice.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
You are using version 3.1.2? Current version that's compatible with Snow Leopard is 3.4.8... Download here: http://www.macdentro.com/MacDentro/Home.html (on left side)

For utilities that have a bold Red Warning tab on their website, always good to use newer version of software...

I don't know how to fix your current dilemma, but For your support question, contact their support: Support@MacDentro.com

--they may scold you for using an old version of a shareware program
--they won't be snarky like MacRumors posters can be...

Hope this helped.

summerof2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
You are using version 3.1.2? Current version that's compatible with Snow Leopard is 3.4.8...

I am running Leopard 10.5.7.

... For your support question, contact their support: Support@MacDentro.com

I contacted macdentro support, sometime before starting this thread. Because I realize many freeware app developers do not reply, and do not have the time to reply, to support requests I decided to request help from other sources, such as this forum.

... snarky like MacRumors posters can be...

I was somewhat hesitant to use MacRumors forums, because of, precisely, that reason. I recall the same "environment" on MacRumors from a number of years back. To me, so far, it does not seem that anything has changed.

Hope this helped.

Thankyou very much for replying.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was somewhat hesitant to use MacRumors forums, because of, precisely, that reason. I recall the same "environment" on MacRumors from a number of years back. To me, so far, it does not seem that anything has changed.
If anyone was "snarky" in this thread, it was you. I gave a valid response to your post, even if it wasn't to your liking, without any criticism or attitude. As your first posts in the forum, you would do well to be less critical, if you expect people to be motivated to help when they can.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, I can not see. You have made an extremely generalized statement(stereotype) that I doubt applies as broadly as it appears, to me, you have applied it.

I am certainly not trying to defend IceClean, because I am rather annoyed with this problem. But, for all I know, it may not be a problem at all. IceClean may simply be "working on" the 1 TB USB harddrive I forgot to disconnect before running IceClean.

My intention, when I started this thread, was not to find someone who will chastise me for my own personal choices. My intention was, simply, to thoroughly describe the problem I have encountered and get an answer as to how to resolve that problem, from someone who knows how to resolve it.

In other words, I am hoping for a reply from someone who clearly understands the technical aspects of how IceClean works and who can, therefore, tell me what steps to take to determine what exactly IceClean is doing, if anything, to my MacBook system right now, who can tell me how to determine if IceClean is "hung" and "not responding", and who can tell me what actions I can take, if any, to safely force quit IceClean.

I know there must be experts who read this forum that can tell me the aforementioned.

There's no need to be hostile and take statements, from people who are just trying to help, personally. Besides, GGJstudios is right. You do not need cleaning programs. They rarely increase performace and, in some cases, may actually harm your system.

My advice would be: shut down the computer and, upon reboot, properly remove IceClean with the guide GGJstudios provided.

summerof2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
Wanted: IceClean User/IceClean Expert

Purpose Of This Thread
I am seeking a reply from someone who clearly understands the technical aspects of how IceClean works and who can, therefore, tell me what steps to take to determine what exactly IceClean is doing, if anything, to my MacBook system right now, who can tell me how to determine if IceClean is "hung" and "not responding", and who can tell me what actions I can take, if any, to safely force quit IceClean.

This thread was started as a means to seek a reply from someone who expertly understands the technical aspects of how IceClean works and who will, therefore, answer certain questions the thread starter has with regard to the application.

If that is you, then, please reply. If that is not you, or you do not use IceClean, you do not want to use IceClean, or you feel IceClean should not be used, then, I ask that you not reply, because your input is unlikely to be compatible with this thread's purpose.

Last edited:

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
It won't help you at this moment, but after you fix this problem you may want to consider updating to 10.5.8 and later security updates if you are still on 10.5.7.

MacUpdate seems to have a semi-usefull forum on iceclean: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23860/iceclean

There is a not very popular MacDentro Facebook Page

It looks like 3.4 8 runs under 10.5 as long you have an Intel Mac...

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
Sort of funny to see the OP defending some piece of software which obviously hasn't worked as advertised, but regardless of that, what other choice is there but to force a quit and reboot the system? Any hope of inputing commands to the program is obviously not founded in anything but blind faith, so just hit the power button and hope for the best. Think of it as pulling off a band-aid quickly versus slowly. Which hurts more?

summerof2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
To macking104

It won't help you at this moment, but after you fix this problem you may want to consider updating to 10.5.8 and later security updates if you are still on 10.5.7.

I want to thank you, macking104, for replying. Updating to 10.5.8 done.

Longreach23

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
GGJstudios is correct there is little need for these apps. In fact I've never used one and my Mac runs as fast today as the first day. I can't say the same for a windows computer that needs its OS reloaded just because the registry is so bogged down and there's a ton of cruft left over.

That may be your opinion, which you should keep to yourself as it's facts and assistance this guy needs. I used this app and it helped tremendously.
Cheerio!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That may be your opinion, which you should keep to yourself as it's facts and assistance this guy needs. I used this app and it helped tremendously.
Cheerio!
This is an open forum. Anyone is free to voice any opinions they choose. You can't restrict people from posting, even if you disagree with what they have to say. Just because you used an app doesn't mean it's necessary or even recommended.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Cheerio!

Not that GGJstudios needs me to defend him, but...

When you have been around MR a little longer you will find that his technical suggestions are always knowledgeable and helpful.

You will also find that posts of that nature are presented in a non-emotive, neutral fashion. They are not critical or sarcastic, just useful if you choose to try them out.

( So much for being a nice guy, and now I'll go back to being a jerk.:D:rolleyes:)

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Coming in late. wouldn't the developers of IceClean or an IceClean forum be a better place to get the info the OP is looking for?

Unless IceClean is an open source program, I don't see many people on this forum knowing a lot about the technical details.

pkles

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
i know its super late, but i just had this problem and couldn't find any way to solve it so i thought i would add my comment.

Having waited many many hours iceclean didn't stop running, having a few options, shut down, force quit or unplug external hard drive.

I know its prob not the best way but i had good way to rectify the problem so i unplugged the ext. hard drive.

Ice clean stopped running in a n instant!

iceclean runs perfect now and it seems no harm done to my HD.

BEEAAAUUUTTTIIIIEEE!

GJGamer

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2013
Hello there,
I have had the same problem with my IceClean. The circle had been spinning and spinning for more than 24 hours. I finally decided to restart my computer... Nothing happens, then I try shutting down my computer... Nothing happens.
Then I have decided to force quit the IceClean which was very risky for my MacBook Pro. So I clicked on the force quit, nothing happens. I had no problems from then. I suggest you to force quit your IceClean and then delete the application.

Pretend that nothing had happened :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.