Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Zoom app for iOS was today updated to introduce support for the latest iPad Pro models, with the new software adding integration with the Center Stage feature.

zoom-center-stage.jpg

Apple's 2021 iPad Pro models include a front-facing "Center Stage" Ultra Wide camera function that uses machine learning to automatically detect people in the frame, panning and zooming to keep them in view during FaceTime calls. The feature recognizes when other people join or exit a call, adjusting the camera position to fit everyone in.

Center Stage was designed with third-party video conferencing apps in mind, and Apple has made an API available, which is what Zoom is using. Following today's update, Center Stage will be compatible with the Zoom app for iOS.
With support for Center Stage, you can participate more naturally in our Zoom video calls. Never again worry about whether you're out of frame during a workout, teaching a class, or celebrating with friends and family over Zoom.
In addition to Center Stage, Zoom is also gaining support for an expanded Gallery View, so those using the 12.9-inch iPad Pro can see up to 48 video tiles while the iPad is in landscape mode.

Many other iPad models will also get an expanded Gallery View feature that will allow more people to be displayed on a single screen, controllable with pinch zoom gestures.

Center Stage and expanded Gallery View are available in the Zoom 5.6.6 update, available from the App Store.

Article Link: Zoom Adds Support for iPad Pro's New Center Stage Feature

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Think of Zoom as a company what you will, but they sure do move fast in supporting new devices and features made possible by the underlying OS.

It seems to me that most tech savvy consumers really like and value this, and IMO it's one of the reasons - VEERING OFF TOPIC ALERT! - that Tesla is so beloved compared to the rest of the car industry. It's not that other car manufacturers don't have electric vehicles or good technology, it's just that Tesla always has a new update or feature in the works that will delight its consumers.

Buy an Audi or a BMW (I'm an Audi man myself), and you get zero over the air updates ever. And even when they eventually get around to changing this, you know that the reserved nature of traditional car manufacturers is going to make updates slow and few and far between.

But, yes, Zoom new features good!

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Think of Zoom as a company what you will, but they sure do move fast in supporting new devices and features made possible by the underlying OS.

It seems to me that most tech savvy consumers really like and value this, and IMO it's one of the reasons - VEERING OFF TOPIC ALERT! - that Tesla is so beloved compared to the rest of the car industry. It's not that other car manufacturers don't have electric vehicles or good technology, it's just that Tesla always has a new update or feature in the works that will delight its consumers.

Buy an Audi or a BMW (I'm an Audi man myself), and you get zero over the air updates ever. And even when they eventually get around to changing this, you know that the reserved nature of traditional car manufacturers is going to make updates slow and few and far between.

Like i said. Centre Stage worked before said (unavailable) update

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Yes, I’m delighted how tesla keeps making my car worse by breaking the media player with every new update

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Yes, I’m delighted how tesla keeps making my car worse by breaking the media player with every new update
Sure, but I wasn't making an objective statement. Living on the bleeding edge is not for everyone.

Hell, even the latest MacOS or iOS is likely to break things you like.

I'm simply suggesting that the market tends to reward adding new features quickly disproportionately over those who wait to get it absolutely perfect.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Is Center Stage a hardware or software implementation? Would really love it to have on the Mac. Maybe there's a hope to next MacOS update.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Is Center Stage a hardware or software implementation? Would really love it to have on the Mac. Maybe there's a hope to next MacOS update.
It’s technically a software feature, but to be useful you need a wide range camera (the new iPad Pro has a 120º one), and other front cameras of Apple device are way more limited than that. The tracking of your face would be very limited without a camera upgrade

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Good thing that it's an API open for developers to use.
Before today, I thought it was FaceTime-only feature.

Reactions: GregoriusM

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Good thing that it's an API open for developers to use.
Before today, I thought it was FaceTime-only feature.

I think that Zoom may be playing a little game here as it was working before now and it works with MS Teams which has not updated. It sounds like Zoom is trying to capitalize on the new feature of the iPad and make a splash to say 'WE SUPPORT THIS' even though it works by default.

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
They did not list it in this post but the actual blog post by Zoom says its being released “this week”. So it should update sometime between now and this weekend.

View attachment 1781994
But it already worked, an update wasn't necessary unless they updated to allow you to disable/enable from within the app which previously only was possible through settings. Sure seems more like they are trying to gin up attention related to a new iPad feature as they didn't need to do anything to make this work. As an example, Teams has not been updated and works with Center Stage beautifully. It is an awesome new feature.

Reactions: calstanford

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008

The new iPad has a wide (or is it ultra wide?) angle front-facing camera, so it's hardware & software working in tandem.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
Lame that this didn’t make the 24” iMac....the family computer I want to leave in the kitchen island and not my office
That M1 iMac is an even better choice than the iPad for Center Stage. Apple is questionable sometimes lol.

Reactions: CVUSA

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
I can’t see this whole working from home thing lasting. I have a weekly video call but it’s not the same. I’m looking forward to getting back to normal with face to face meetings.

Reactions: otternonsense
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.