Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
He everybody,

I've got the Zoom H4N so I could record with it's stereo built in microphones and an external lavalier microphone.

So I got the stuff, and the stereo microphones are working (obviously). I plugged in the lavalier in the back v(where it says "EXT MIC". And I didn't get a signal After a while I found I in "INPUT" I had to turn "PLUG-IN" to "ON".

So I figured that one out.

But it would be nice to use the stereo built in microphones AND the lavalier at the same time.

But whatever I try, when I put the lavalier mono mini jack into an XLR adapter (rode VXLR mono mini jack to XLR) or mini jack to stereo jack adapter, I don't hear anything. I've tried the different modes (stereo, 4Ch, MTR). The gains are also normal (0db), as well as recording lvl (~80).

Is there something I need to turn on? Or are the adapters faulty?

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I've tried the 4CH mode. I hooked up a real XLR microphone and it worked (with the phantom power on).

But it doesn't work with the mini jack lavalier microphone.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
I've tried the 4CH mode. I hooked up a real XLR microphone and it worked (with the phantom power on).

But it doesn't work with the mini jack lavalier microphone.

Pick up an mini>XLR cable....I use my seinheiser G3 kit all the time and take the mini output from the receiver pack and plug xlr into the Zoom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.