Zooming Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, May 16, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Did everyone just forget about the zoom feature in OS 4? I mean, IT'S MAGICAL! LOL, but seriously, it was something the iPhone was deeply missing.

2. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

It's like Apple was thinking, "how can we make the camera on these things worse."
    "I know, DIGITAL ZOOM!"

Yes, I know the 3GS has a decent camera, and even the 3G camera is decent in good light. That's about all they are though, decent at best.

3. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

What are you talking about? The zoom makes it better, even if only by a bit. I can think of a LOT of situations when I needed it.

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Have you ever used digital zoom before? It zooms in on the picture and adds information that is not there into the photograph.

Digital zoom is like you cropping a picture, enlarging the new image back to the original size, and then attempting to use information in the surrounding areas to enhance the stretched image created by enlarging the image.

I have never seen a digital zoom that looks as good as an photo taken without digital zoom, let alone "making it better, even if only by a little bit."

5. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Hopefully the iPhone 4 gets some sort of a regular analog zoom, then the digital zoom on top of that. Hopefully we can zoom with the camcorder too.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

I can't name a single phone camera that has zoom, at least, without the phone being designed around the camera, rather than camera being a tiny little extra, I don't think the camera package is simply big enough to be able to fit an actual zoom onto in most phones.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

buy a camera! For the size of the lens and Camera the iphone 3gs do fine for basic photo's. I am sure the 4G will be better. At the end of the day I use a Camera for really good pics. Then hope that my Cell phone works well as a cell phone. btw my camera totally sucks as a cell phone. I will contact Canon about adding cellular calling in there next camera.

8. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

The zoom feature looks like it needs to be forgotten, from what i've seen it looks pretty crappy!!

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

First thing I do when I get a camera is turn the digital zoom off. Unfortunately, on the camera I use for work, that only turns it off in auto mode. In manual mode, digital zoom still works. I usually don't zoom anywhere near that far though, so it's not a problem.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Think of it this way, the processor in the phone is interpolating the image to magnify it.

If you want to zoom it, it's best to zoom in using photo editing software on a computer that is more suited to handle it. The digital zooms in cameras or camera phones is always a bad idea.

11. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

What? Regular analogue zoom? Do you mean a camera with physical parts? I don't see that one coming anytime soon to iPhone.