Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The ZTE Axon offers better value than the OP3. ZTE has dual front facing speakers that can compete with the best. In addition, there is a closer to stock option than the OP3 Oxygen skin. Passport 2.0 is a great warranty plan in the states relative to others. I think the HTC Uh-Oh Plan is comparable to Passport 2.0. You can get a gift card + headphones? Talk about trying to push sales for a good product. OP3 just offers more RAM and a better camera. Sometimes, specs aren't everything. I would go ZTE Axon, especially once the 6GB of RAM model hits the market. It makes justifying $500 for the S7 harder, but that's a good thing.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
The ZTE Axon offers better value than the OP3. ZTE has dual front facing speakers that can compete with the best. In addition, there is a closer to stock option than the OP3 Oxygen skin. Passport 2.0 is a great warranty plan in the states relative to others. I think the HTC Uh-Oh Plan is comparable to Passport 2.0. You can get a gift card + headphones? Talk about trying to push sales for a good product. OP3 just offers more RAM and a better camera. Sometimes, specs aren't everything. I would go ZTE Axon, especially once the 6GB of RAM model hits the market. It makes justifying $500 for the S7 harder, but that's a good thing.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is updates / phone support. OP3 will have custom ROMS but we're still not sure about future update timing (Android N, etc.). ZTE's skin (or flavor of Android) is actually intriguing to me but is there ROM support? when will it get N compared to the OP3? (naively or with custom ROMS?). I like to try out the latest offerings from Android but also have the ability to customize. That's why I picked up a Nexus 6 a few months ago for super cheap. But I really want to try out both of these phones and I'm tempted to sell my N6 to get one of them.. but which one... ? ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
The only thing I'm trying to figure out is updates / phone support. OP3 will have custom ROMS but we're still not sure about future update timing (Android N, etc.). ZTE's skin (or flavor of Android) is actually intriguing to me but is there ROM support? when will it get N compared to the OP3? (naively or with custom ROMS?). I like to try out the latest offerings from Android but also have the ability to customize. That's why I picked up a Nexus 6 a few months ago for super cheap. But I really want to try out both of these phones and I'm tempted to sell my N6 to get one of them.. but which one... ? ;)
Try them both! I would pick up the OPO3 first. It is available now and it has a ton of roms and development out there for it. It will take the Axon 7 a while to get into everyone's hands then get roms out for it.
Then you can always sell the OPO3 as it is more well known and get the A7 when you're ready....

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm also really really looking forward to this phone, but can't find any confirmation on availability where I live.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

For updates and phone support, just piggyback off the Axon Pro feedback on XDA. I am sure you would find some info there.

Before I bought that one I knew I could get 6.0 and coupled with the price I would pay pushed me over the fence.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

It seems to be the best value by far (excluding chinese phones and such). I hope they sell a ton of them and the oems wake up with their pricing.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ordered the Axon 7 Gold today from BB....should be able to pick it up in a local store tomorrow. I'll share some initial thoughts when I get it in my grubby hands :)
Then I will decide which one to keep.....the OPO3 or Axon 7.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Ordered the Axon 7 Gold today from BB....should be able to pick it up in a local store tomorrow. I'll share some initial thoughts when I get it in my grubby hands :)
Then I will decide which one to keep.....the OPO3 or Axon 7.

Don't be spending that Note 7 money so soon !!!

Reactions: jamezr

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I can use JoD to jump from my S7 edge to the Note 7 :) Since they both will have the curved display it will just be trading one for a little newer device with slightly better specs.

That JOD sounds awesome, I'm still tempted by Tmobile. If they have a Note 7 BOGO I'll get them for my 2 lines, then I could JOD one for the iphone 7 (if it's worth it). Hmm tempting.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I can use JoD to jump from my S7 edge to the Note 7 :) Since they both will have the curved display it will just be trading one for a little newer device with slightly better specs.

I'd be interested in camera and video tests. That's what keeps me coming back to Samsung devices. I've heard the camera on the Axon 7 is fantastic - but the side by side comparisons to other phones didn't convince me it was better.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'd be interested in camera and video tests. That's what keeps me coming back to Samsung devices. I've heard the camera on the Axon 7 is fantastic - but the side by side comparisons to other phones didn't convince me it was better.
Android phone makers are all getting really close to each other in what they offer now.

Well BB screwed up my order for the Axon 7. They said I could order it then pick up the next day in a local store. They lied.....I called and they said it won't be until Aug 3rd. Should have ordered from Amazon but wanted to get the BB points.... Lesson learned...don't order from BB next time.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Android phone makers are all getting really close to each other in what they offer now.

Well BB screwed up my order for the Axon 7. They said I could order it then pick up the next day in a local store. They lied.....I called and they said it won't be until Aug 3rd. Should have ordered from Amazon but wanted to get the BB points.... Lesson learned...don't order from BB next time.

Release date on the Axon 7 isn't until August 2nd on BB's website, sounds like some folks at BB need more training.

I don't even see it available to order at Amazon yet unless I searched incorrectly on their website and I'm missing it.

I wasn't doing anything yet anyway as I'm waiting on the Note 7 even though I may not go for that one at release.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

BB is the worst worst WORST. Their online reservation system is a complete waste of time. It's almost never accurate. I tried to buy the new Bose wireless headset from a local store a couple of months ago. I went online, saw it was in stock, purchased online for pick up that day. Got an email that it was ready for pick up. I get to the store and I'm told they ran out of stock and if I want I can wait for them to get more in, no date given.

BB is there if you want to play with stuff before deciding to buy it online. And even in that regard good luck because they don't maintain the items on display so often you're testing out something in the worst possible conditions.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

So.... have you gotten it? Thoughts?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It is now on display and available at my local BB and all I can say is WOW! Fast, great feel in hand and the display really really impressed me.

Go take a peek, I did not walk out with one but I have a feeling I will be back tomorrow for it. I liked the grey one better than the gold but we'll see. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.